Using laptop in Paris?

Jun 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Using laptop in Paris?

Hello all, need a little help...I'll be bringing my laptop to Paris and wondered exactly what I need to use it there (in term of power converters, etc.).

I have bought a Kensington power convertor that says input 240V/120V on back. Can I just plug this into the outlet in France and then plug my laptop into it?

I have an HP Pavilion laptop, it has a power cable that has a small box at the end of it, then there is a cord that attaches to the box and then plugs into the wall.

Obviously I want to avoid blowing out my computer...help! I'm pretty good at the software end but clearly a little clueless as far as hardware goes. I've done a little research on the internet and come up with several conflicting answers.

Thanks.
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
J62

There should be no need to use the Kensington power converter. Check the brick / box on the HP power cord. It should say 100-240V input. If it doesn't I'd be very, very surprised.

With the proper plug adaptor you can simply plug it in, yes.

If the HP says 100-240V input (or a similar range) you do NOT want to use another converter. You can leave the Kensington at home, unless you need it for something else.
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM

I also have an HP Pavilion laptop. I took it to Paris in April. I think all of them are now dual voltage...older ones may not be. Just look at the power cord. It tells you, as was mentioned in previous message.

Check with your apt. or hotel for what access they have..WI-FI or cable.
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM

We just returned from Paris and used our 2 laptops successfully throughout the trip. The converter wasn't needed, only the adapter. Wifi card was available at our hotel. Same for camera battery rechargers -- they worked fine without the converter. Curling iron was another story!
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I did try to read the power box but sadly my middle-aged eyes cannot decipher the small print. Have to get out the magnifying glass...

I suspect I will just need the adapter. Less to pack - tres bonne nouvelle. Merci beaucoup.
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Free wifi in all of the public parks, libraries and tons of other municipal sites.

Also in quite a few cafés as well and also chains such as Quick, McDonald's, Starbucks and chains like that.

You will often see "wifi gratuit" on the awnings of Parisian cafés now.