Reload this Page >

use train or car for Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 10:17 PM
stan

My wife and I will be in Provence the first week of June, after an Elderhostel in this area that will take us to major sights. We have a week more to spend in Provence{ or go to Languedoc-Rousillon]. Would you advise having a car or use the train and bus? Thanks

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 01:01 AM
Greg

I would alsways use a car - although there is public transport to many sites/sights it often runs only e few times a day and can be very restrictive. Having a car allows you to go where you want when you want - parking can be an issue in some places but it is still far preferable to have the car in my opinion

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 04:04 AM
Patrick

We spend our time in Europe (extensive summer trips --5 months this year) split between driving and takin trains, etc. This one is easy. There are no trains to most of the towns in Provence and it is mandatory that you drive if you don't want to spend half your day waiting for public transportation. In Provence we often leave our base town (Aix-en-Provence) is our favorite, but Avignon works well too, and visit three or four towns during the day, adding walks in the countryside, stopping to admire the vistas or to take a little refreshment somewhere, or whatever. It is the only way to enjoy Provence.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 09:03 AM
chau

Dear Stan, <BR> <BR>Car or train? Well, depending on how much town hopping you will do. My preference is to stay at least 2 or 3 days in each place, eat, hangout, sightseeing. I usually enjoy things more if I don't rush around too much. Last April/May, we were in Provence, with my mother and 2 young children. Took train from Paris and Nice to Avignon. Stayed 2 nights there, rented a car at the end and drove to Arles for 3 nights. Then by car to 2 nights in Sarlat. I would do train next time and ride taxi into town from train station if need to. We didn't have good experiences w/ car driving: got hit by another car, car seat we brought won't fit in the rented car, driving in the rain, sometimes very narrow streets that you can't turn around easily when lost, parking, etc. I would do train any day. May be you won't see as much, but much lesser stress. I guess, it boils down to personal preference. Oh, we stayed at Hotel du Musee in Arles. I highly recommend it, reasonable, very friendly and nice. I like Arles better than Avignon. Not as big and crowded. Stayed in Avignon at Hotel du Garlande. I like it too. The madame in charge there had to come to help us sort out our car accident problem w/ her hair still wet in a towel in the middle of her shower. She was helpful and reassuring.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 04:32 PM
stan

Thank you for this information. This forum is a great place for "real" information, not tourist hype. <BR> Stan