US CC's in Italy

Search

US CC's in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2010, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US CC's in Italy

As usual our American Express was turned down in many locations. We're not even bringing it anymore. They just don't want it because their fees are too high.

I have never had a problem with my Visa and Amex at the train station in Italy. I did have a problem with the machines in France, but the agent was able to take it. This time I had a problem with my Visa in Napoli Centrale and Roma Termini in the machines. Both were the older machines. The agents were, again, able to take it. We were in too much of a rush to try the newer machines in a different area. I hope they work in those machines. December is ok to go to the agents because there is no line. I'm concerned about other times of the year when the lines are longer.

I also couldn't use any of my cc's at the car rental on Ischia. Their cc machine wouldn't take anything without a chip. They weren't able to by-pass it so we ended up paying cash.

I guess CEO's of the cc card companies have to have a problem using their cards before we get the cards with chips here.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:13 AM

This is useful information. I have not had trouble using regular credit cards in Europe or the UK with three exceptions:

1. ticket machines. Your advice to go to the window is good.
2. tolls or unmanned fuel pumps. You are out of luck.
3. lazy or ignorant employees who don't want/don't know how to enter your credit card in a standard machine.

At the car rental, I would have said the Italian equivalent (I must find and memorize it) of "tant pis" -- tough luck. I wqould have then turned around and begun walking to the door. I would be very surprised if I got very far before they suddenly "remembered" how to run the card or called a supervisor to find out.

On the other hand, I almost never use a credit card in an Italian restaurant anymore. Too many dramas.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM

The U.S. cc companies' response is that they are not the limitation. The issuing banks don't feel they need to issue chips-and-PIN cards for general U.S. users. When private banks operate in the interest of CEO and shareholders, why issue chips-and-PIN cards benefiting only a fraction of customers when all it would do is to lower CEO bonuses and stock prices?

That is why if such a card is issued at all for the U.S. users, such as by Travelex, it becomes a premium service product in the absence of other factors impacting bank share prices.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 06:40 AM

My biggest problem with credit cards in Italy is small businesses. They don't like the fees so typically only accept cash.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had no problems using my credit cards in the newer ticket machines (the touchscreens) in Italy. The only old machines I know of at Termini are track side and many of those are cash only.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 08:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I guess CEO's of the cc card companies have to have a problem using their cards before we get the cards with chips here. <<

Since less than 25% of Americans have passports and only a small % of those travel to countries w/ chip-PIN credit cards this really doesn't inconvenience that many people.

Except for non-staffed petrol stations, there is almost always a 'get around' so I can't see a huge clamoring from masses of folks demanding chip/PIN cards.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander: Renting in Ischia is different than on the mainland. The rental companies are private. We didn't pay for the rental car until we returned it. They didn't ask for a cc before....hhhmmmm now that you mention it, maybe they did it that way so they wouldn't have us walk out to another company.

Greg and Publius: Exactly.

kybourbon: The older machines are also near the ticket agents. They were touch screens. They are just in a different section. I don't know why they have two different kinds. Now we will be sure to try the new ones first.

janisj: When you rent a car on Ischia, the tank is empty....empty to the point the light is on. They don't require you to bring it back full. Invariably, we get there around the middle of the day and the gas stations are unmanned at that time. One pump is always self-service at that time. We use cash.

Is it necessary to have a "huge clamoring from the masses" to ask cc companies to be up with the rest of the world?

I'm also one of those people who think the US should go along with the metric system now. I think we're the only country left now that Canada has gone to it.