Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

US Airways new charges for alcoholic beverages

Oct 12th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Robyn France

Greetings,

This morning I noticed in a missive from US Airways that they are now charging for beer and wine on international flights ($4 or 4 euros)in economy--this is fairly new or brand new --don't know which, but our last international flight was May and it was not in effect then. FYI--here is the text
Beer, wine, and spirits are offered at US$4, 4 Euros or 3 GPB for transatlantic Economy Class customers. Flight Attendants will accept cash in any of the three currencies; however, credit cards will not be accepted. Alcoholic beverages are complimentary in First Class and Envoy Class and non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary in all classes of service.

Take care,
Robyn France

Oct 12th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Gretchen

Pretty sure all the American carriers are doing this now or will in the very near future (first of the year).

Oct 12th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Tom

I know the airlines can make any rules they choose, but is there is any jurisidiction that says you can't drink wine you bring with you, flying from or to Europe from the United States?

Oct 12th, 2002, 10:14 AM
xxxx

Use British Airways or Virgin Atlantic which haven't yet pulled this crap. Make it clear to them and to your former carriers that this pettiness is one reason for your decision. If enough people do this, then this will stop.

Incidentally, I know Continental is also pulling this. I don't know about American or United.

Oct 12th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Mike

from the International Herald Tribune last week:

===
Delta Air Lines is planning to charge passengers in its economy cabins for alcoholic drinks on international flights to reduce costs. Beginning Oct. 15, beer, wine and spirits will cost $4 each on flights between the United States and Europe, India, Japan, Argentina, Brazil and Chile. It will carry out the policy on flights between the United States and Mexico and Central and South America beginning March 1.
===

Oct 12th, 2002, 10:50 AM
xxx

My original post holds...stick to the European airlines and you won't have this problem if it is a problem for you.

Oct 12th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Rex

The 5 kg limit on carry-on bag imposed by BA is much worse than having to pay for alcohol. Makes your next day time zone adjusting worse anyway.

I'll continue to choose an airline based on price and convenience of departure/arrival/connect times until there is some compelling reason to be influenced by some other factors.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 12th, 2002, 11:03 AM
xxx

Well, the airlines see this as one of the few ways to actually get an income since there has been such a drastic drop in the number of people flying. Look at how many Airlines are fileing for bankruptcy or asking for loans.

Oct 12th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Aimee

Bravo US Air!
I don't drink and finally I won't have to pay for others. I rather have lower air fares than free drinks

Oct 12th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Dean

That's quite an extrapolation there, Aimee. Where did you come up with that cost analysis formula?

Oct 12th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Ed

Seems like a reasonable set of assumptions to me. Were you thinking that the basic laws of economics had been broken, and it really is possible to get something for nothing?

Oct 12th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Dean

No, I'm just inferring it would be rather naive to conclude airline ticket prices will fall due to a meager cost-cutting implementation.

Oct 12th, 2002, 12:14 PM
xxx

She didn't say that they would fall. Maybe not rise as quickly. But they can and should be lower if they exclude an amenity like alcoholic beverages, then if they include them, at no additional cost to the passenger(s).

Oct 12th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Monica

My husband, a pilot for USAirways, just got his letter stating he will be furloughed effective 5 November. If USAirways is going to charge for drinks to help bring in the income, I'm all for it and for getting my husband back in the cockpit.

By the way, do you get free drinks on the train or bus or other modes of transportation? What's more important to you: the perks? or getting to your destination?

Oct 12th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Dean

the cost of 250 Bloody Mary's as compared to a plane-full of Jet-A fuel

is as

the cost of a 250 bowls of breakfast cereal as compared to a year's-worth of
mortgage payments.

ie: chump change. Robbing Peter-to-pay-Paul syndrome.

Oct 12th, 2002, 01:42 PM
xxx

Will the pilots have to pay too?

Oct 12th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Aimee

Dean, I never said that prices will go down because some airlines like US Airways (and others will follow) now charge for drinks
I only hope they will remain reasonable so we can all travel once a while

Oct 12th, 2002, 07:52 PM
jenna

Funny to see all this righteous indignation about airlines charging for booze. However, nowhere on this board do I read about indignation about the recent penalty rules where any ticket you buy becomes really non-refundable if you can't make the trip. It used to be that could use the ticket for a year and apply it to any other trip on that airline( after you satisfied the cancellation fee). No more! Now, the only "flexibility" is that you can try to change the ticket prior to the departure day by paying the difference in fares PLUS the cancellation fee. However, the origin and destination has to remain the same If something happens and you can't go to that destination anymore( for example, you get laid off and need to cancel that trip to Europe with the family), tough luck! Throw away your ticket. It's worthless.

Oct 13th, 2002, 05:23 AM
FreeBooze

What are we doing -- going back to no-frills flights? What's next? The movies? The free water & soft drinks? The eatable food?

They need to keep the booze and cut back on the salaries for most of the worthless flight attendants.

If the airline can't compete, they need to be driven out of business.

P.S. European airlines give free alcohol on their domestic flights. American airlines need to get a life and/or new management.

Oct 13th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Anon thistime

I may drink occasionally, but I see no earthly reason why airlines should provide free drinks in economy class. If cost-cutting measures like that can help moderate price increases, then it's a good thing, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO