Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

US AIRWAYS??? Any information appreciated.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Mom

We have been offered a great deal with US Airways as the carrier. How are they doing? I know at one time (fairly recently) they were not faring too well financially. <BR>I checked Travelguard's website and they are not listed on the "not covered" companies. <BR>I would appreciate any insight you can offer.<BR>Thanks!<BR>Mom

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 09:51 AM
ryan

US Airways is in deep, deep trouble. Its finances were precarious before 9/11. That just exacerbated the problem.<BR><BR>The major credit rating agencies have them at a rating that imploies that bankruptcy is likely. Bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean that they'll stop flying, but that certainly could happen.<BR><BR>Personally, unless I'm saving a boat load of money, I'd avoid them.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Sue

It is the major carrier for those of us who live in Pgh. and fly in and out of PIT. I just bought a ticket RT to Paris for a good price and have no concerns about it.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 03:48 AM
Gretchen

Agree with Sue. Take the savings. They will still be flying or will be served through another airline. Nothing will happen overnight.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Mel

I use them frequently and my boss flies them weekly--I would not hesitate to book with them for my trip to the UK in late February if they have the best price (still checking around).<BR><BR>By the way, their Airbus 330 is a great configuration with tv's at each seat, tons of channels, comfortable seats (well, as good as they can get in steerage!)

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Maira

Have traveled with them to Madrid (three times), Paris (3x), Munich, and Rome. Will be flying again soon to London with them. I highly recommend them. By the way, I have cancelled two trips to Italy this year. Both times, USAirways has returned every penny (non-refundable tickets). As a result, I don't even inquire with any other airline.