Reload this Page >

Urgent - Dying Parent - Need Flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Eva

I am trying to help a friend find a last minute flight to Belfast from Seattle. He can't afford to pay more than $1,000 but he's desperate to get back there. Anyone help? Thank you

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:36 AM
StCirq

Has he inquired about bereavement fares?Most airlines will give you a break in this type of situation, not just after someone has died.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Bonnie

Has he checked out Jet Blue? I heard that they fly out of Seattle to the east coast and then he can pick up discount fare to London. Try Air Canada's websaver rates out of Vancouver, B.C. to Toronto and then on from there. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Rex

This is one job for which the internet is probably NOT the first/best place to turn. You (he) need(s): <BR> <BR>a competent dedicated travel agent. <BR> <BR>a fax from a phsician or hospice worker, documenting the terminal condition of the parent. <BR> <BR>and some frequent flyer miles might actually help (save money) in this case; not for international travel, but to get the traveler from SEA to NYC. With no notice, the cheapest flight from SEA to LON is $1466, but from NYC it's $309. A very wise use of frequent flyer miles if he has any to use. <BR> <BR>From LON to Belfast, there are $99 fares each way on www.europebyair.com and other fares (some higher, some lower) on British Midland - - iflybritishmidland.com - - depends on the return, of course. <BR> <BR>Best of luck, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Eva

He has and has had no luck. His dad has very little time left (although he has been sick from cancer for some time)

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:27 AM
pam

travel.yahoo.com search <BR>SEA to BFS reveals $416 on Continental, 3-day advance purchase, earliest travel 3/19, next Monday. <BR> <BR>Suggest calling Continental directly. <BR>American and Delta also showed some cheap fares (under $500). If your friend calls the airline directly, mentions these fares and the situation, maybe they can find a seat for him. Good luck to him.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Eva

Thank you all for your replies! I have given him all the facts from these pages. He's calling the airlines right now. Thank you!!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:25 PM
helen

If no luck, www.travelocity.com just turned up a $432 flight leaving on 4/19. Just type in the cities and choose "my dates are flexible," then go from cheapest on up. Good luck.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Joy

This one's important... Good Luck!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:58 AM
just helping

IF you can get to London cheaply- there are very cheap fares to IReland on Ryanair (ryanair.com)-- under $60 from London.. <BR> <BR>ALSo check BRitish Airways- they are having $99 fares from some US cities to London for MArch. Best of luck and condolences to your friend.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:46 PM
REZ

Eva, <BR> <BR>If your friend can't get good, compassionate help by phone, tell your friend to go to SEATAC or a city ticket office of whatever airline and talk to a human being, directly. I once had an emergency, went to an American office in a local hotel, and the human being there was enormously helpful, pulled strings and tricks and got me where I needed to go with a discount fare. No promises, obviously -- it depends on the person. But sometimes the person-to-person interaction works --- <BR> <BR>----just don't try it at the airport if there's a really long line and it's rush hour and there are delays. Tell him to try first thing in the morning, tomorrow, or last thing tonight. <BR> <BR>Avec dieu.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Ryn

British-European has direct flights from Gatwick to Belfast City. If the only affordable flight he can get is to Gatwick, that connection is pretty decent.