Reload this Page >

Upper Bavaria: Summer 1999

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 04:34 AM
jsaldutti

Planning a trip to Upper bavaria next summer. There will be four families and I would appreciate all general travel tips as well as specific Bavarian info/reccomendations. Anyone ever stay in Ruhpolding? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 04:07 PM
Doug

Since you will probably be passing through Munich, if not flying in, the following Web page is an excellent source of info about the city as well as <BR>lots of detailed info about Bavaria - <BR> http://homepages.munich.netsurf.de/N...ler/munich.htm

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 04:23 PM
George

If you are planning on leaving Bavaria at all I would recommend that you spend some time in the Hohenlohe area which is near Schwabisch Hall on the maps. You can then visit Rothenburg od Tauber, Dinkelsbuhl, Langenburg, and Schwabisch Hall itself. It is a neat area, not in the middle of a big city, with lots of local traditions and culture. If you have an interest in the area, e-mail me directly (as I don't usually check this forum) and I will give you lots of advise. I have been going there for 20 years and know lots about the local area. <BR>George <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 03:06 PM
Dawn

I spent some time in Bavaria about 5yrs ago. I would highly recommend stopping at Oberammerau. I absolutely fell in love with this little town. This is where they put on the Passion Play aka birth of Christ every 13 yrs. You can buy beautiful wood carvings and the paintings on the buildings are a must see. Have fun, I loved Germany!!

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 09:54 AM
andrea

Oh...I envy you...I LOVE Upper Bavaria..definitely go to Oberammergau as Dawn suggested. Also...go to Bertchesgaden...we have friends, the Pfnur's who have a Gasthaus there which is absolutely beautiful! There is a small town nearby, Oberau, and a Gasthaus calleD Auerwirt...this is DEFINITE TRADITIONAL BAVARIAN...the people still live via traditional Bavarian custom. You can then travel over to Salzburg. Go to the water garden...this King HAD a sense of humour. Definitely see some of King Ludwig's Castles, not just Neuschwanstein, but some of the others. He was very beloved and eccentric. My mind is going blank on names(I'm getting married in 3 weeks) so I'll try to get you some names. Munich is nice but these other places will give you the true flavor of Bavaria! <BR>Tschuss!