Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

upcoming trips... join the 'will we make it ?' or 'I hate volcanos' club!

upcoming trips... join the 'will we make it ?' or 'I hate volcanos' club!

Apr 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,351
Cambe, NATO have refused to say when or where or at what height their jets were flying when they were damaged. For all we know they flew them straight though the ash over Iceland. Until they tell us the details I'll believe the airlines and their test flights.
hetismij is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 196
Luckily,on Friday evening we arrived home safely from Rome (Rome - Toronto) after spending 10 glorious days.

Hoping other fodorites are able to travel as planned.
celticmoon is online now  
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
  #43  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,248
Originally scheduled to fly to Frankfurt on 4/16 - cancelled.

Rescheduled for 4/19 - cancelled.

Rescheduled now for 4/23.

If it's rescheduled after the 23rd, we're cancelling.
swisshiker is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,406
Pavot, it went to Johannesburg. (A380 service to South Africa all through the World Cup period.)
kerouac is online now  
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
  #45  
LJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,759
Due in to London (and on to Toulouse, FRA 3 days later) on April 28th.

Sadly, DD and (brand new)SIL were forced to cancel their European honeymoon (3 weeks, Switzerland, France and Spain)after 48 hours in airports looking hopeful and are making their own romance in San Francisco instead.
LJ is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
  #46  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 355
I'm scheduled to fly to Barcelona on Apr 21. I waltzed happily through last week because Spain was not appearing on the no fly lists. Then suddenly American Airlines added BCN within the last day or so. I had a couple of hours of panic this morning, but am feeling better now that it appears all Spain airports have reopened. My situation is infinitely less stressful than what some of you are going through. Being stuck or having your flight cancelled is a nightmare.
bniemand is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
  #47  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 401
My trip is just May 12-May 20th... I'm hopeful things will be back to normal by then for a while, unless there is another eruption.

Who would have thought, huh? A volcano ... My little cousin, 7, is also coming along on the trip and he finds the news of this volcano quite intriguing. He won't find it so funny if the volcano prevents him from going to Euro Disney and Parc Asterix!!
Ruby99 is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
  #48  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,279
Due to leave for London on the 23rd. If we get out, I can begin to worry about getting back.
basingstoke2 is online now  
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
  #49  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Scheduled to fly to London on May 1 - no insurance! oh well, nothing can be done except to wait and watch.
nandgexperience is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
  #50  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 302
NYC to LHR May 20th. Hopefully, it'll all be clear by then. Fingers crossed!
elcon is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 596
I am to leave Wednesday for flights on Air France Seattle-Paris-Madrid-Seville(Iberia Air) to pick up a cruise. At this point Air France has not yet canceled the flight at the same time out of Seattle on Tuesday so evidently there is still hope. In the meantime my travel agent has a ticket on hold from Seattle to Chicago to Madrid - the cost is $2,600 one way and arriving a day later than the original flight and on a different airline. This is fine as I can catch up easily. Fortunately, I have trip insurance and I just talked to an agent and they will cover the cost of the new ticket as long as I purchase it before the original departure date.
Louise is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 12:39 PM
  #52  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 195
Originally scheduled to leave 4/16 on a direct flight YYZ - CDG for 10 days. Now rescheduled to leave 4/20, connecting through Vienna, same return date. Apparently there are no problems Vienna to CDG, but I'm still worried about being stranded in Vienna.

Decisions, decisions - leave tomorrow, or reschedule for July...
Truffles is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 793
We are sched. Apr 23 Atl to FCO! Keeping everything crossed!
greenie is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM
  #54  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 195
oh yeah - I'm in the I hate volcanoes club!!
Truffles is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 02:37 PM
  #55  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 321
www.bustohome.info is offering to help anyone stranded and in need to contact one another for mutual help in combining efforts to get away. Apparently it's a non-profit website designed to form an e-mailing group of those people that have same starting location and destination. You can register and offer to help as well. Now there's a nice idea
Ricardo_215 is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 05:16 PM
  #56  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,225
wow. lots of us going neat places. or not going neat places.

ricardo, thanks for the link - that is interesting!
surfmom is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 783
Not feeling very optimistic at the moment..scheduled to fly into Rome on the 22nd..so I'm joining the "I hate volcano's club".
If the flight is canceled I will be rescheduling to September - but the other couple traveling with us as never been to Europe...the heartbreak. Oh well, postponing a vacation is nothing compared to some of the stories coming out of this situation. Sigh...sip on my wine...sigh...sip some more......
travelfan1 is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM
  #58  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,225
sip... slurp... chug.

here is a great site I saw on another thread - it is interactive with airports.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tml?ref=europe
surfmom is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,853
Don't break it out just yet - another cloud may be on the way.

Australian airline Qantas is flying passengers stranded on their way to Europe in Asian hubs back to Australia free of charge as accommodation prices soar.

In the meantime. a 5.0 magnitude earthquake has hit the Western Australian goldfields city of Kalgoorlie, and Qantas, which regularly operates in volcanic zones, is keeping watch on a new volcanic eruption on Vanuatu.
farrermog is offline  
Apr 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
  #60  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,552
2012? Maybe the Mayans were bad at math...

Anyway, we are scheduled to depart on Wednesday evening for Rome. I hope we get to go.
tuscanlifeedit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:34 AM.