Unique Shops in Paris

Old May 8th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Claire

Unique Shops in Paris

I've done the department stores. Where can I find something really special (but not too pricey)?

Old May 8th, 2001, 06:13 PM
StCirq

Go to the stationery stores - there's a particularly good selection of the in the St-Germain-des-Près neighborhood. Beautiful notebooks, stationery, cards, pens, inks, etc. - really lovely stuff. Also, for (and it's not Parisian, but more likely North African) silver jewelry, try the shop on the corner of the rue Buci and rue Dauphine in the same neighborhood- there's another similar one on the rue St-Dominique, right around the corner from rue Cler.

Old May 8th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Desi

If you're into cooking, go to Dehellerins, near the Palais Royale. They have great knives, cute mini porcelain ramekins/terrines, pretty olive wood salad tongs, etc. I found a lot of cool stuff pretty cheap there. Of course, they also have copper pots that are tres cher.

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Notvery

Although it sounds like it, "tripe" is not a fish. <BR>

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Notvery

This was supposed to be posted under the Paris for Dummies thread. sorry.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:41 AM
elvira

Viaduct des Artistes: shop called M'O' with incredible dried flowers, seed pods, etc. I bought a bunch of stuff and have no clue what I'll do with it. They also have handmade papers; and blank books, photo albums, etc. made from the papers, with gorgeous covers. <BR> <BR>Trois Quartiers near the Madeleine: sort of a shopping arcade with a great kitchen shop, bath shop, funky doodad shop.... <BR> <BR>In the Marais, gorgeous stationery stores with stunning handmade papers, unique envelopes, etc. <BR> <BR>Goumanyat et Son Royaume, 7 rue La Michodière 75002 for incredible spices (French-grown saffron), flavored vinegars and mustards, and a lecture on saffron from the owner! Don't miss the sea salt from Guerande. <BR> <BR>Gault Miniatures, somewhere on the rue de Rivoli near the Louvre. Expensive miniature buildings, but worth every dime. Every time I go to Paris, I buy another something to add to the growing 'arrondissement' in my bookcase. <BR> <BR>In the 16eme, at the corner of rue la Fontaine and ave Leopold II is an 'orphanage', which has a second hand shop run by the ladies of the church. Seein' as how this is in the chichi <BR>'hood, you can find YSL suits for $30. <BR> <BR>Re the department stores: have you checked out the stickers and crafts stuff? You ain't seen nothin' 'til you've seen THEIR miniatures... also, incredible laser-ready stationery, greeting cards, and office supplies like folios and writing pads. <BR> <BR>