Reload this Page >

Unique gifts from Czech Republic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:15 AM
monique

We will finish up our trip in Cesky Krumlov and Prague. I would like to bring back little gifts for my family from the Czech Republic because it's the end of the trip, so won't have to carry them, and I figure I will find more unique things to buy there, and better deals. I'm not looking for anything extravagant. For example, my favorite thing to bring back from Paris are the little scented soaps that they sell in the pharmacies. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Sandy

I loved the blown-out eggs decorated with intricate designs. They're everywhere, not expensive, and unique to that part of the world. Also, I think it's in the Czech Republic that we bought tiny replicas of castles made of cardboard and decorated with colored foil. Alos, look for frosted glass Christmas tree ornaments. Much less expensive than in the states, and beautiful.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:55 AM
melissa

I don't know if you are an art-lover, but last winter I bought several amazing paintings from small galleries in Prague at incredible prices. Sadly, getting them framed back home in New York was a fortune, but SO worth it to look at these gorgeous works brighteing up my home every day! There is also quite a bit of Czech glassware in various shops. Beautiful pieces which, if you pack well, should withstand the trip home. Have a great trip! I ADORED Prague!!!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Beth

Handmade wooden toys are great; available at many stores and at outdoor markets.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Mike

The handcarved eggs and marionettes were a real find in Prague. We actually found a little old lady that had a sidewalk side stand that carved them as we watched. It was amazing how intricate the design was. The Czech marionettes were a hit with our family and very unique to the Prague area.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Julie

There is a place not far from Cesky Krumlov where somekind of meteor hit the earth eons ago. As a result they have a type of semiprecious stone that is unique in the world. I forget the name, but it's a sort of moss green color. I bought earrings for my daughter from the little gift store in the CK castle. They come with info about the stone. Czech Republic is also big into garnets and you can find garnet (and amber) jewelry pretty inexpensively priced.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:57 AM
bobbie

I posted a similar question awhile ago when my dad was visiting Prague and got some good advice, I think from Leslie. The crystal glassware and vases are quite unique and I also got a pair of garnet earrings which are also attractive so you really have many chices.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Leslie

When I was in Prague, I brought back a lot of crystal and garnet jewelry. You'll find reasonable prices everywhere. Just realize that even the smallest of packages become heavy when you buy a lot of things. I also bought a lot of postcards and picture books. You might also consider buying a cookbook. I didn't find anything out of the ordinary in Cesky Krumlov that I could not find in Prague. You might also go into Tesco -- it's like an enormous Walmart, where you can buy practically everything.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:34 PM
monique

Thank you so much! These are great ideas! I love the one who watched the woman carve the egg! I am also trying to buy a Christmas ornament on every trip, so I will definitely get one for myself. The garnets sound neat, too! And also the green stones unique to the area!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:44 AM
Christina

If you do wait until Cesky Krumlov, it's a small town so it won't be difficult to walk around and look in the gift shops to see what you want. I know they had typical garnet and jewelry shops, but I didn't notice anything else other than usual souvenirs. <BR><BR>I could be wrong, but my impression is that you will have much more variety and better prices in Prague than in Cesky Krumlov. there isn't much there, for one thing -- secondly, it's crammed with tourists, that seems to be it's main business, so I wouldn't assume prices will be much, if any, cheaper there than in Prague because there is so much competition in Prague. Jewelry is small so it won't matter for the weight where you buy it. I have made too many mistakes shopping too long for gifts and then wasting time or not finding again something I saw and liked, so I wouldn't advise waiting to CK to shop. If you don't care that much about what you get, it may not matter, but I'm sure you'll have a better selection of jewelry in Prague, as well as probably anything.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:42 PM
Mark

Garnets are mined just outside Prague...they are of very good quality and very cheap. I bought several pair of earings in different settings at a reputable jeweler in Prague and I think each pair cost under $30. The recipients loved them.