Search

UNESCO towns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:06 PM
kit

UNESCO towns

What exactly is one? I have just recently run across the term researching Prague and the CZ. I get it, generally; it means the United Nations thinks it's a town with historical merit, right? Anything else important about the designation? What other UNESCO towns are there if, indeed, it means something real and of merit?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:10 PM
HMB

Go to UNESCO's web site and get the listing of world heritage sites:<BR><BR>http://www.unesco.org/whc/heritage.htm<BR><BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Rex

Just like we have a National Historic Register here in the US, the world (the UN, actually UNESCO) has established its list of World Heritage sites, and provides for their historic protection.<BR><BR>See http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=2&tid=1356474 for more info on a great website about it.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:23 PM
kit

Perfect. Thanks HMB and Rex. The list is wonderful, and full of sites I definitely agree with! (Looks like I missed the original discussion by about a week.) Have a great weekend~ Kit

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:36 PM
kalena

I too just found this site, although some well-traveled friends had mentioned it to me. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?<BR><BR>Aloha,<BR>k

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:24 PM

tops of the world.<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:15 PM
clairoobscur

AFAIK, the UNESCO requires the country to take all needed steps to preserve the site. It means that rich countries can afford to have many sites/towns listed in the world heritage while poor countries can't. And some countries can feel more concerned than others about tourism/preservation of their heritage.<BR><BR> Also, still AFAIK, it's up to the country to propose a given site or town. Hence, if a given state want to promote a given site for whatever reason (or the town itself lobbying), it will ask for it to be listed while an equally (or more ) interesting place won't be.<BR><BR>In other words, the "heritage of the world" sites can't be considered as an absolute reference of the most beautiful places in the world. That said , they're all apparently very interesting places, and they're all in some way preserved (no ugly mass tourism hotel can be build in the middle of this wonderful natural site. I believe the way the tourists flow is handled is an important point to stay on the list, for instance).