Undecided: England/Paris in February?!?

Jan 18th, 1998, 09:55 PM
Richard

Undecided: England/Paris in February?!?

We have the opportunity to get away for a week, 4 nights London, 3 nights Paris on an excellent package deal, theatre tickets, chunnel crossing, 3 star hotels, etc. We have never been to London, but have been to Paris once. Is this risky with the weather at that time of year? Has anyone done this? We would be in Paris for Valentine's Day. Should we wait until May/June and stay 2 weeks when the weather is nicer, and spend more money then?

Jan 20th, 1998, 08:04 AM
Lee

Richard: We, too were faced with a similar situation. Normally, the temps in Paris during January, which is when we went (last week, actually) are around 30F. We saw daily highs of 55-60F! There's nothing like springtime in Paris (and London), but prices will be higher and there will be more tourists. We could have waited, but chose not to. Valentine's Day in Paris! What could be better? I guess that I'm a student of "Don't put things off, because you just never know". You'll have all kinds of responses, but mine is: "Go for it!". Good luck and have fun!

Jan 20th, 1998, 10:06 AM
roger

If you know for sure that you will go late may or early june I would opt for that simply due to the weather. Having said that, the weather can be iffy even then, but the trees and flowers will be in bloom. If on the other hand it is questionable about going later, I would go in February. London is my most favorate city with Paris a close second. Enjoy you trip. If I can be of help on you London stay, let me know

Jan 24th, 1998, 08:04 AM
Patrick Barnette

Unfortunately, you didn't make it entirely clear as to what your options are. If you are going to have to scrimp and save to go later, and can pull out all the stops this time, that is one thing. If, instead, you will have more money to spend later, and can still do everything the way you wanted to, then, by all means, take the extra time and better weather and go then.

If price is an object: well, the weather can be bad, but bring a nice raincoat (or buy a wax coat when in London) and expect it to be cold. Some things will be closed, and it will get dark early, but all the cultural opportunities will still be there. Having lived in London for a year, I can say that February is much better than they say - it isn't crowded, you will see real Londoners, and you should be able to get theatre tickets much easier. But, then again, I live in Boston now and honestly love cold, rain, and snow.

Whatever, the case, keep an upbeat attitude, and you can't help but have a great time in what are two of the most wonderful cities in the world.

Jan 24th, 1998, 09:00 AM
Linda

I don't know about Paris but I assume the weather's pretty much the same as it is in England. We visit my Dad in London every year and you can never count on the weather. We have been in April, May, June, July and October and I can honestly say that it hasn't made an awful lot of difference. Last June the temp. didn't get much above 10C and was windy and rainy the whole time. According to the locals I had just missed two weeks of 'gorgeous' weather! I think the thing with the weather is not to expect much...plan to do whatever you are going to do regardless and if it's good then you lucked out. I think the real secret of a good holiday in England is to pretend weather doesn't exist!

Jan 24th, 1998, 12:06 PM
Kendra Shoemaker

I studied in Paris last spring and found that the weather is generally warmer than the US. February would be a nice time to go, seeing as how their would be few tourists. However, if you want to see France at its finest, I recommend going in the early spring, such as April. There is nothing like April in Paris! The gardens are breath taking at this time. It is up to you but if I were going I would wait at least another month.

Jan 27th, 1998, 08:56 AM
Gayle

Going to Paris 2/11 need some inexpensive hotel information.

Jan 27th, 1998, 06:54 PM
Leslie

I would recommend waiting until May or June to visit. While it's true, you *never* can be sure what the weather will be like in Europe... the length of the days makes a huge difference to me. You'll get 4 or 5 more hours of daylight if you wait.