Search

Undecided

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2018, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undecided

We are Australian and travelling in September to Budapest from Vienna and after that we don’t know whether to go to Ljubljana or Plitvice Lakes and then on to Split...which has more to see and what would be the best way of getting to all these places...we travel on a budget so need the best and safest way of getting around.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 04:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well start with rome2rio to see some of the options for travel (the data is not perfect but a good place to start).

Safety, well the area you describe is generally safe though Budapest can suffer from pickpockets in some places. I've been to all the places mentioned, on my tod, no worries.

I might make time to include lake Bled which really is a beautiful lake. Split is great you might also like Trogir, or pop out to Brac or Hvar on the hydrofoil.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 04:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for timetables of trains bahn.de (click the union jack) is probably best and seat61.com will explain how the trains work in each country.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 09:33 AM
kja

No bad options, just difficult choices!

The Plitvice Lakes National Park is, IMO, the single most un-missable of Croatia's many splendors. Not only are the lakes connected by travertine waterfall formations, each lake has unique microbiota, and as a result, the lakes are different colors. Stunning, and unlike any where else I've ever been. Plan on a single loop of at least 6 hours in the park, and stay over night either before or after.

Ljubljana is charming and also unique, IME. Depending on your time, you could include that with Lake Bled.

Split is my favorite city in Croatia, and it not only has a lot to offer in and of itself, but is also a great base for some of Croatia's other delights.

Like bilboburgler, I wouldn't worry about safety in any of these areas, assuming you take reasonable precautions. I've traveled to them all as a solo female traveler and never felt uncomfortable.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 12:23 PM

Yes check www.bahn.de/en for all train schedules.

And to book your own tickets yes www.seat61.com is the Bible now for that and to get discounted tickets. Buses may be best for Split or in summer boats along the coast. For lots on trains in general check www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

There is perhaps some kind of night train Vienna to Croatia? Though day trains go thru sweet scenery too.