Search

Umbria travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria travel

There is so much information available for travel in Tuscany but I hear that Umbria is still unspoiled. Does anyone have recommendations on places to stay in the countryside, small charming inns or farmhouses that are central to day trips within the region. We will have a week to spend in Umbria and would like to stay in the area of Assisi.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I was given advice from several people to stay at Locanda Rosati in Orvieto. I have reservations there for May, but only for a night as we'll be on our way to Greve. You might want to have a look, an old stone farmhouse.<BR><BR>http://www.locandarosati.orvieto.tr.it/e_desc.htm
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Marcy, do a search for Malvarina. It's about 15 minutes away from Assisi by car. A heavenly spot, possibly with the same ambience as El Marsam, which you mentioned in an earlier post. <BR><BR>Type 'Malvarina' into the text search box at the top of the page, highlight 'Italy' in the box to the right and press 'find.'<BR><BR>Buon viaggio
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Oops, forgot the URL: www.malvarina.com
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:27 AM
RAR

www.slowtrav.com .. You'll find a ton of info there on Umbria, and the types of accomodations you're looking for.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:08 AM
DRJ

I heartily recommend my friends, Mauro and Silvana, at Le Case Gialle near Bevagna and Montefalco. They have a website.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Another vote for Malvarina. It is a lovely agriturismo near Assisi and noted<BR>for fantastic dinners. You can read a<BR>review at Karen Brown's website - just<BR>select her Italy B&amp;B book for viewing.<BR>My husband and I visited Malvarina in<BR>the autumn of 2001 and I can't say<BR>enough good things about the hospitality, food and lodging. You can<BR>also ride horses here if interested.<BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:44 PM

We spent a week in Umbria last spring, staying in a condo in Assisi. That is a charming town but we enjoyed some of the smaller hill towns. I would love to go back and stay in Gubbio. Did not like Pergia, it was a &quot;big city&quot; for that region with the hustle and bustle.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:52 PM

We stayed at Abbazia Vallingeno. It is about 13K from gubbio and 25 K from Assisi. It was very nice. It was buit in 1100 and St Francis actually stayed there (it is now a working farm). Feel free to e-mail me for more info. Pat
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:42 AM

I've been researching places to stay for our two stops in Umbria as well as two in Tuscany. Came across a wonderful site, www.italyby.com It has lots of pictures of all the places they list. The reservation system is very easy and they are prompt in responding. We selected Villa Millani outside of Spoleto and Relais La Fattoria in Castel Rigone near Lake Trasemino. Take a look at Castello dell-Oscano, like a fairytale.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:47 AM

Peace and tranquility abound in this fabulously restored 300-year-old farmhouse. The proprietors are American; Mike tends the land and runs the B &amp; B along with his wife, Ginda, who is an accomplished artist and writer. The farmhouse is beautifully appointed with her art, antiques and memorabilia from their travels. They make you feel like family. You won't want to leave. For more information, check out their website: www.elmarsam.com <BR><BR>Ginda Simpson has a new book - &quot;Deeply Rooted&quot; which makes for delightful reading if you are planning a trip to Italy particularly Umbria or Calabria which is where the story takes place. A tale of her journey to Italy and of her Italian ancestral home. It will make you laugh and cry and long to be in Italy! For ordering information visit the author's website: www.gindasimpson.com <BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:49 AM

I forgot to say that &quot;El Marsam&quot; B &amp; B is well situated for a base while seeing such towns as Assisi, Cortona, Orvieto, Deruta, Perugia etc. You will not be disappointed. www.elmarsam.com
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:53 AM
LJ

If you are still looking, we were very happy with Casa Farneto, host: Fabrizio. <BR><BR>Charming property, very close to Assisi. Although listed as Dua de Spada in the Parker Company listing, the owners have other apts in this lovely old stone farmhouse with great views and gorgeous antiques.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who have offered so many fine suggestions. I will now do my homework.