Umbria - Carsulae day trip ideas.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying in Spello and want to visit the Roman Ruins in Carsulae. I am looking for suggestions on possible day trip itineraries or a driving tour that might include interesting towns, scenic places and good restaurants that would include a visit to Carsulae.

I was inspired to visit Carsuale after reading Tracy's accounting of it here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...pt-secrets.cfm

I was originally thinking of doing a loop sort of thing through the Southern Valnerina with some stops along the way (San Pietro in Valle, Ferentillo and La Cascata Marmore) inlcuding Carsulae, but now that I look at the routing, it does seem bit convoluted and could turn into a longer day than we really want.

Any ideas????
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

One last try....
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM

iamq, I am so excited that you are visiting Carsulae! It's way underrated in my opinion. I wish I had some suggestions. I'm trying to remember what we did that day but I'm drawing a bit of a blank. We were planning on going to Spoleto, which is nearby, but we weren't too impressed so we continued on. According to my trip report we visited Trevi and Deruta in the morning and then headed to Carsulae.

Just an FYI that this wasn't the easiest place to find. We got a little bit lost but it didn't take long...their is (or at least was) a lack of signage.

Wish I could be more help!
Tracy
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tracy,

I owe you a big thanks for originally posting about Carsulae. It wasn't on my radar screen until I did a search here and found your remarks. We are very interested in Roman ruins and this one sounds like a great one.

Since it will probably be hot while we are there (late June), we may visit in the morning when it is cooler and find some good place for lunch with a view and some shade to chill out during the afternoon.

I found an article about an excavation being done there this summer, so that should be interesting. Hopefully it won't hinder access to some of the sites.

Deruta might be a good place to stop on the way back.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM

I'm happy you stumbled on my recommendation! We really enjoyed ourselves. It's not as commercial as other sites, but I love that because you could really get a sense of the area and the history without gift shops and mobs of tourists everywhere. Of course we were there in March so that may have something to do with it's emptiness. In any event I hope you enjoy it!

Happy travels!
Tracy
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:29 PM

We're just back from the area. We actually loved Spoleto - - there is a parking structure with moving walkways up to Piazza Liberta - - up from there the Duomo is fantastic, and then back to Piazza Liberta there is a walk through to the lower town to Piazza Garibaldi that is really enjoyable. But the real treasures are San Salvatore and San Pietro (each on the outskirts of town) which can be tricky to drive to.

Also on the small highway (not the Autoroute) between Spoleto and Trevi (maybe on the way back to Spello) there is this worthwhile stop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Clitumnus
Trevi is gorgeous in evening light, and out B&B host recommended this pizzeria which did indeed make world-class pies - - perfect crust, highest quality ingredients: http://www.protrevi.com/protrevi/rstcas01.asp
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

dfourh, thanks for the pizza link. We almost stayed in Trevi, so we will be definitely spending some time there.

I have a Sundflower guide that has a car route that includes Carsulae. You drive from Sploeto, hit some white roads that eventually take you to Carsulae, the rest of the tour takes you through the southtern Valneria to Ferentillo, Arrone, San Pietro en Valle and countless other spots, then back to Spoleto. Amelia is another city in the general area that I would like to visit.