Ulm or Lindau as stopover?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a fairly short trip (about 8 days or so) landing in Zurich and leaving out of Munich. I'd like to stop somewhere in between for a night or two in a location which is not a big city, for some contrast to the beginning and end of my trip. I was considering Lindau, since I've never been in the Bodensee area. However, I'm wondering, since I'd be there in early March, if Lindau will have the depressing aura of an out of season summer resort - am I wrong? Ulm appeals to me too, from what I've read about it, and it seems to be more of a workaday, year-round town.

May I request the favor of your opinions? Thank you!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:42 AM
rex

I like Ulm; I have never been to Lindau. Keep in mind that Ulm is really two towns in one "Neu Ulm" is where the university is (I think), and may be more the "everyday" town you mention. "Altstadt" (center) Ulm is where the famous Munster (cathedral) is.

I like the hotel Ulmer Spatz; literally 100 yards from the Munster.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Ulm has the great minster - fabulous and that should be the guiding light that draws you here. Otherwise it's just another very pleasant German city - nicely pieced backed together from war rubble. Lindau is an exceptionally gorgeous city on a spit of land jutting into the Bodensee - authentically old town with nifty setting -totally unique place. You could see Ulm in a few hours but spend a day in Lindau.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Definitely Lindau, not Ulm. Lindau is a lively town, not a resort. Maybe you have a little luck weather wise and the sun is out ... marvellous with the snow covered Alps in the background and the lake in the foreground.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses!

Ingo, if I understand you correctly, Lindau has a life of its own going on year-round regardless of the tourist season? Sounds good to me. I'm into walking around and looking at old buildings and great views - not water skiing or anything like that (in March anyway).

I note that one possible route from Lindau to Munich goes through Ulm. If the fancy takes me, I might get to see both Lindau and Ulm enroute to Munich.

Thanks again.
Dovima