Search

UK vs. Norway

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Darryl

UK vs. Norway

My wife and I will be visiting England in August for a reunion. We have the opportunity to travel to Norway with our group (cruise from Newcastle to Bergen) and see Norway via bus tour or remain behind and tour Scotland & England. My question is whether or not we should try and cram all this into 15 day visit or remain behind and tour England or Scotland at a more leisurly pace..... <BR> <BR>

Old May 11th, 2000, 01:27 PM
cm

That's a tough one. I visited Norway and drove around the country for about 10 days and it was incredible. No place else has the fjords like Norway and the stave churches are worth seeing. My son and traveling friend weren't as thrilled with the stave churches as I was. The landscape and waterfalls and cities there are so unique and the Viking museum in Oslo is worth seeing and you can see the Kon Tiki there and so much else just in Oslo museums. But England and Scotland are great too. I think personally I would go to Norway if I would still have some time to see sights in England. It costs so much to get to Norway and if you are already up there it might be worth doing. Enjoy! <BR>CM

Old May 11th, 2000, 05:42 PM
Tony

If you do decide to go to Norway, the crossing from Newcastle to Bergen is quite good. There is a fabulous fiord cruise from Bergen each morning to a place called Flam, from where you catch a mountain railway with awesome views up to the main line to Oslo at Myrdal.Or back to Bergen from Myrdal by train. <BR>Whilst I don't disagree with the previous post, if it was me I'd be staying in the fiords area around Bergen and Trondheim rather than trekking to Oslo. Super area.

Old May 11th, 2000, 07:48 PM
amanda

Darryl, you mentioned that you'd be travelling to Norway with a group, so I'm not sure how much flexibility you have, but I lived in Oslo for a year, and it's true that it's a great city with interesting sights, but as far as scenery goes, Bergen's got it beat. The best way to see Norway, though, is by the "Hurtigruten," the costal steamer ships that travel the coast from Bergen all the way up to the Russian border. You don't have to do the whole tour: you can get off at any of the ports and train back. You'll get to see places few tourists (at least American ones) get to, and see cities like Trondheim with its wonderful cathedral, the spectacular Geirangerfjord, the North Cape and Northern Lights if you go far enough north. If you have the time to spend there, I'd check it out!

Old May 12th, 2000, 05:46 AM
Ada

DarrYl, <BR>I have travelled extensively in both countries. Norway is much more beautiful than any part of England and Scotland. Don't miss this wonderful trip! <BR>Ada

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 09:56 PM
lorrie

hi , norway definately, if you dont think you'll get back there another time . norway is the most awesome place. nth is good but time only allows, then do bergen &lt; and the tour norway in a nut shell &gt; that takes in awesome scenery. take the train bergen to oslo , more fabulous scenery, oslo is a concrete jungle but get the 2 or three day pass and take a free cruise in the harbour, visit the museums, the folk museum, viking ship,kontiki,fram and maritine museums . take the no 1 underground up the mt at the back of oslo the views, . norway norway !!!! <BR>signed a well travelled kiwi.