UK Gardens

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:44 AM
Brian Gosselin

UK Gardens

I would appreciate receiving suggestions as to the best way to visit public and/or private gardens in the UK.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:39 AM
Judy

For general info, I find: Visitbritain.com/gardens quite helpful.Their office in Mississuaga will send you free brouchure and good garden map upon request.

For details about gardens: nationaltrust.org.uk,
RHS.org.uk

Curtesy of other fodorites: Myweb.tiscali.co.uk/london.gardens
NGS.org.uk (for private gardens viewing)

There are many gardens tours by tour operators on RHS site,perhaps that will be the easire way. But,as I have always arranged my own,I can't really make any comment.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:54 AM
Brit

Try this website www.ngs.org.uk - it details a huge number of private gardens, opened for only a few days a year for charity.

You don't mention which area you intend to visit, but Stowe Landscape Garden and Stourhead, both National Trust are beautiful.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
KT

There's a book, The Good Gardens Guide, by Peter King, that comes out annually and has lots of information re UK gardens, including practical details like opening hours and maps.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:33 PM
JMM

I second the recommendation for Stourhead - one of the nicest gardens I saw in the UK

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Mr Gosselin,

The National Gardens Scheme for England and Wales, includes a Garden Finder: you select by county and by date. http://www.ngs.org.uk
If you enter "Gardens" on the National Trust site you get an alphabetical list of properties with good gardens. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/themes.htm
Selected English Heritage houses and castles with good gardens http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...x.asp?mkey=145

Welcome to Britain

Ben Haines, London

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 11:35 AM
elaine

There was a long article about Stourhead in the Sunday New York Times a week or two ago, you may be able to access the article on line

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Judy

I just found another good site:www.gardenlinks.ndo.co.uk/visits,which gives an extensive list of gardens to visit,open gardens and gardening days out.

To find out how to visit gardens and parks by public transportation around London, WWW.thetube.com/content/theknowledge/how215.asp gives the details of the address and nearest station.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Simone

Good suggestions from all. If you want to see what a garden tour might contain, I can recommend the websites of two companies I've traveled with: www.gentlejourneys.co.uk and www.backroadstouring.co.uk.