Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK Christmas- itinerary check, and miscellaneous details wanted.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now my plan is:

2 nights Bath
1 night Winchester
1 night Salisbury
2 nights York
5 nights Edinburgh
5 nights London

Are there any buses that go straight from Gatwick to Bath?

Does the order work train wise? Alternatives to Winchcester/Salisbury that you'd suggest instead? I wanted to see both Cathedrals and both have Christmas markets, but I'm open to going elsewhere. That 5th night in London is Dec. 24, so I need to find out when the last train leaves for Gatwick- no transit on the 25th means I think I'll need to stay out at the airport that night.

Are there any attractions that you know of that are open Dec. 24? I have a long list of museums I want to get to in London, but so far, Dec. 24-26 seems to be the standard seasonal closure. Are department stores like Harrods usually open on Christmas Eve?

Any favorite recommendations for restaurants in any of the locations, but especially Edinburgh? Favorite museums of Edinburgh?

Favorite Christmas themed afternoon teas in London? I was thinking of booking one for Christmas Eve.

Finally- any special Christmas displays or shows I should make an effort to see? I love lights, traditional markets, department store windows, nativity scenes.

Flights are all booked, lodging is booked but refundable. I'm headed back the 25th because staying through New Years is rather expensive but I'm tempted to change that. Never enough time, especially for London museums

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Check http://www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times...I think you will need to check closer to Christmas.

Check http://afternoontea.co.uk closer to Christmas for special afternoon tea's that are Christmas themed.

Hope this helps! I love London at Christmas!
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 01:05 PM

Hi Marvelousmouse,

We are planning a UK visit with extended family for Christmas 2018 so I haven't got a lot of information to help you yet. I do believe Harrods and some other department stores will be open on Christmas Eve but check the hours in case they close early.

I have bookmarked this article on Christmas teas in London so you may want to look into them: http://www.theresident.co.uk/food-dr...afternoon-tea/
My family is fond of Brown's Hotel for tea and it looks like they had a Christmas Day tea last year if you decide to stay in London over Christmas.

I was in London years ago before Christmas and some of the department stores were beautifully decorated.

I'll be watching this post for info others might have for your trip and hope you will write a trip report.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I was wondering how far in advance the schedule came out. I know from last trip that day of tickets are exorbitant, which is why I didn't get to Bath that trip.

I didn't know there was a general tea page! Awesome!

Thanks Jamikins! Have you been to any pantos? I saw adverts for those last year, and I wondered if that would be fun.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 01:06 PM

Oh and I loved York at Christmas many years ago, be sure to attend evensong or another service at the Minster--it was wonderful.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:05 PM

I'd do Salisbury and Winchester first then Bath, Edinburgh, York - make a circle out of it.

If taking that many trains check out BritRail Passes which are 20% off-season prices in winter - hop any train anytime - compare with discounted tickets and if even close go for the pass and flexibility to just show up at station and hop on.

First-class IMO is way more comfy than 2nd class in UK and passes are a better deal vis-a-vis in 1st than 2nd compared to full fares in each.

Info - www.nationalrail.co.uk for schedules and fares - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com for info on passes and British trains in general.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Be sure to take a raincoat and hat and a sturdy umbrella. The weather can be filthy then.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:46 PM

If you do the trip in a circular pattern, you'll go to Winchester first. From Winchester to Salis bury, you will have to make a change at Southampton. Salisbury to Bath is easy. To get to York from Bath, I'm think going by way of Bristol ( change trains ) is the best but maybe someone has another idea.

I travel a lot by train, but I only go first class on trips lasting more than 3 hours. It's simply not true that 1st class is always better than second class. Really on many trains you won't be able to tell the difference.

I certainly wouldn't describe December weather as filthy. A bit of hyperbole IMO.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:47 PM

I'm with PalenQ on booking first class seats, so worth it to me.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:49 PM

Posting at the same time as historytraveler. I found first class quieter than other parts of the train which made the journey more pleasant. Last year on a full 2nd class car from Bath to London I so regretted not spending the extra pounds.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Thanks Jamikins! Have you been to any pantos? I saw adverts for those last year, and I wondered if that would be fun.<<

Not Jamikins, but I try to go to a Panto every time I'm in the UK in December. Last time I went to two, one at at Lyric Hammersmith and one at Wilton's Music Hall. But the offerings are different every year so you have to check what is being present where.

Wilton's is a Victorian Music Hall and that was soooo much fun but I'm not sure they are doing a panto this year -- I'm on their mailing list and haven't received any info yet.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:58 PM

We spent Christmas in London a few years ago. One of the favorite things we did was go to a singalong Christmas carol concert at the Royal Albert Hall. I just checked the website & it looks like they have a lot of Christmas concerts this year. I'd recommend taking a look.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

I don't think I'd get my money's worth of a pass and generally first class isn't worth the upgrade to me, unless I am really craving peace and quiet. Thanks, though! Was doing Bath first because a visit to a spa sounded like bliss after that long of flight, but I'll play around with the schedules and see if a circle would be easier.

How is the weather in Edinburgh generally? I was in London last January, and my water resistant Columbia was fine. Really wasn't what I'd consider filthy. If it's at that point, I'll be in a pub or tea room anyway.

I can bring my heavy duty rain coat and down vest or I can bring my all around water resistant Columbia puffy jacket. The former I use for winter biking and hiking- latter is my city coat. Are we talking drizzle or sideways snow and hail or just icy cold? I am trying to pack as light as possible.

I'll keep checking back for Wilton's- the mother goose production from last year looks like it was a hoot! Thanks, Janisj!
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 04:01 PM

>>How is the weather in Edinburgh generally?<<

No 'general' -- just like the rest of the country. Could be cold/drizzly or not. One thing for sure is the days will be very short up north - Sunset in Edinburgh around 3:30 and in London approx. 4PM.

>>Are we talking drizzle or sideways snow and hail or just icy cold?<<

Could be all of the above -- or just overcast and cool, or clear and crisp.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I see. I was under the impression that Edinburgh tended to be colder than London. The short days are a given, I'd think.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 04:23 PM

Well, yes, generally Edinburgh is let's just say cooler than London. That does not mean you need to change your wardrobe or what you pack. The familiar advice of layers applies for December in both London and Edinburgh. You may want an extra layer in Edinburgh or you may not.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

So not much colder then. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 04:36 PM

>>So not much colder then.<<

Maybe/maybe not. Don't make assumptions

Could be freezing/20º colder in Edinburgh than in London -- or it could be 10º warmer in Edinburgh than in London.

Layers, layers, layers . . .
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Well, at any rate...I checked averages, which I should have done before asking, and it looks like both places would be similar to Seattle. I'm fine in anything that doesn't involve a foot plus of snow or single digit farenheit temps.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 05:14 AM

Seattle is a very useful comparison weather-wise.

But also: check daylight hours. Both London and Edinburgh are a lot further north and it gets dark very early in December - like, 3.30/4pm. Earlier in Edinburgh than London. For some visitors that's a much bigger shock than the weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -