Uffizi

Mar 26th, 1999, 01:48 PM
cheryl

Uffizi

I know that tickets can now be ordered in advance, but I am not sure that this is going to work for us. The last time we were there we waited in long lines to get in first thing in the morning. Now that the museum is open until 10:00 pm, does anyone know what the lines are like in the late afternoon? Perhaps around 4:00? I wondered if it was less busy at that time of day. Thanks.

Mar 26th, 1999, 03:02 PM
Walter

I have read other posts on this and another NG saying the lines are *alot* shorter in the afternoon. One poster stated a 20min wait in the summer season. I did a 10am reserved ticket in Feb98 and the museum was crowded, next time I'll do a reserve ticket in the pm. I'm curious about the 10pm closing time though, on the official Uffizi web site they still list the 7pm (tue-sat)[2pm sun+holidays] closing time. www.uffizi.firenze.it/welcomeE.html You could always call while in Italy and try to reserve your tickets a couple of days in advance (a fax might also be required with CC info). Regards, Walter

Mar 26th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Beth

According to the mining company's Italy for Visitors web page the late closing hours were only in effect in the summer. Well, actually they extended it to December. But right now they said it is back to the shorter hours. They believe that it would be opening in the evenings again in April.

Mar 26th, 1999, 03:27 PM
Sally

We had our hotel make reservations for us when we booked our room; however, the day we got there, we walked past the Uffizi about 4o and there was no line, so we just walked in and cancelled our reservations.This was in November.It was nice to see it when it was not crowded.

Mar 26th, 1999, 08:57 PM
Dennis

Went last June and skipped the lines in the morning. Went around 4:00 in the afternoon and were in in about 10 minutes. Definitely go later and miss the busses and tour groups.

Apr 8th, 1999, 04:39 PM
Robin

I was looking at the Uffizi Gallery website and it says that access is free for Italian citizens under 18 or over 60 and for foreign citizens from those countries for which reciprocity holds.

Does anyone know if this is still true? In particular, I need to know about the free access for under 18 Italian citizens.

Apr 8th, 1999, 07:59 PM
J. Morton

Cheryl, I tried the late afternoon thing two times in late March, and lines were as long as they were in the morning. I had wonderful conversations with other travelers in the 2-hour wait, but next time I'll try to reserve.