COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

typing the £ sign WOWOWO

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:50 AM
hooray

typing the £ sign WOWOWO

!"£££££££££££££

I FOUND IT

when you are using UK keyboard
the ££££££££ is the # sign

WOW

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:52 AM
whooopee

You know, this is too exciting to share with people first thing in the morning!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:54 AM
GOOBER

when in UK keyboard mode you get this from the shift for the number keys:
! " £ $ % ^ & * ( )

when in US keyboard mode you get this:
! @ # $ % ^ & * ( )

now, where is the @ on UK?

lets try
<>?!"£$%^&*()QWERTYUIOPLKJHGFDSAZXCVBNM<>?><>?~¬

nope can not find it
where or where is it on UK keyboard?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:44 AM
fun4u

AltGr + 2 = @

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:28 AM
DUH

hey !!! how about instructions on how to enter these keys for those who are computer novices ?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:58 AM
curiousgeorge

I am topping a thread called "reasonable accommodation in London" ..someone asked on that thread how to type a £ and several other people gave the keystroke combinations for doing it. Also there are instructions how to type the Euro symbol, which works when I type here but for some reason turns into a ? when the message I have typed the Euro symbol on gets posted on this board.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:04 AM
DUH

THANKS curiousgeorge! I've copied and pasted that info into this thread; otherwise I'll never be able to find it again -- obviously I've got the copy/paste trick down, now on to bigger and better.

> > > > > > > >
Go to START, click on SETTINGS, click on CONTROL PANEL, double click on KEYBOARD, click on the LANGUAGE tab and click on ADD, then select ENGLISH(British). You're welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: starspinners ([email protected])
Date: 01/21/2003, 09:03 pm
To type a £ symbol (if you are running Windows ME or XP) :
Hold down the right side ctl AND the right side Windows key with your left hand and
at the same time, on your numeric key pad, strike in order the 0, 1, 6, and 3 keys with your right hand,
then quickly release the ctl and windows keys... and you get a £
It may take a bit of practice .
This method may also work on earlier versions of Windows, but I have only tried it on Win ME and Win XP.

--------------------------------------------------

Author: £££ ([email protected])
Date: 01/21/2003,

= = = = = = = = = = =

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:08 AM
humm

without @ why use the UK keyboard?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:32 AM
curiousgeorge

Dear Enlightened, there was a bit more on that thread about typing special symbols that you didn't copy and paste... LOL

Author: Patrick ([email protected])
Date: 01/22/2003, 09:46 am
Message: That formula for making a pound sign doesn't work on my new Gateway laptop. Maybe because there is only one windows key and it is on the left, not the right, but no matter what combination I try it with along with CTL and the numbers, I get zippo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: AA ([email protected])
Date: 01/22/2003, 09:58 am

Author: starspinners ([email protected])
Date: 01/22/2003, 10:25 am
Message: Since Pam did inquire how to type a £ and since she, too ,may have a laptop rather than a desktop, I will risk everyone's ire and respond to Patrick's question. I am willing to suffer the consequences of having my fingers smacked with a ruler.
I don't have access at the moment to attempt a £ on a laptop but perhaps typing one can be achieved by using the numbers lock key, I believe it's designed to imitate the numeric keypad that comes on a desktop keyboard.
And Patrick, in my earlier post I meant to say , use the ALT key on the desktop ,not the control key.
And since I am on a roll here being slightly off topic, one can type a Euro symbol ? ( on a desktop) by holding down the ALT key and at the same time using the numeric keypad to type 0128.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:39 AM
kate

Goober, on my Mac keyboard in the UK, my @ is the same place as a US keyboard. " comes after :

On PCs (horrible things), the @ comes after :

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:39 AM
test

£

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:12 AM
seamus

£====Alt key on left and 156 on keypad.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:12 AM
xxx

On my US PC keyboard the @ is on the top line and shares the key with the numeral 2. It is between the 1/! key and the 3/# key.
When I am in the UK and using a friend's PC to read and write e-mail..I always forget the the @ is not in the same place there as I am used to finding it on my PC at home.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:15 AM
seamus

? is alt plus 0128 on my hp with win 99

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:56 AM
mpprh

I use 2 Pc's.

One with a French keyboard, one Swedish (29 letters in the alphabet !).

I use GBP to be sure ?

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:19 AM
tryury

£ ?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:01 PM
sarah

How about the \ key? Yesterday at work we were trying to dial into a PC for one of our offices in London to research an issue, but no one was in the office at the time to help us. We need to use the \ symbol as part of our login.
Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:38 PM
i never

\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Rich

\

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Rich

£

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO