Reload this Page >

typing letters of the alphabet with foreign diacritical marks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:56 PM
cmt

I looked all over for the thread that had this useful information because I forgot to copy it for myself yesterday. Here it is, for anyone else who might be hunting for it. It is obviously travel-related obviously if you make travel plans in writing in a foreign language. (I take no credit for this good information, except that at least I asked for some of it.) <BR> <BR> <BR>Ä = Alt 142 <BR>Å = Alt 143 <BR>Æ = Alt 146 <BR>â = Alt 131 <BR>ä = Alt 132 <BR>à = Alt 133 <BR>å = Alt 134 <BR>á = Alt 160 <BR>æ = Alt 145 <BR>ç = Alt 135 <BR>É = Alt 144 <BR>é = Alt 130 <BR>ê = Alt 136 <BR>ë = Alt 137 <BR>è = Alt 138 <BR>ƒ = Alt 159 <BR>ï = Alt 139 <BR>î = Alt 140 <BR>ì = Alt 141 <BR>í = Alt 161 <BR>Ñ = Alt 164 <BR>Ö = Alt 153 <BR>ô = Alt 147 <BR>ö = Alt 148 <BR>ò = Alt 149 <BR>ó = Alt 162 <BR>P = Alt 158 <BR>Ü = Alt 154 <BR>ü = Alt 129 <BR>û = Alt 150 <BR>ù = Alt 151 <BR>ú = Alt 163 <BR>ÿ = Alt 152 <BR>¿ = Alt 167 <BR>¢ = Alt 155 <BR>£ = Alt 156 <BR>¥ = Alt 157 <BR>º = Alt 166 <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Ed

For those wanting to write Spanish in other than all upper case, the <BR>ñ is Alt-0241 <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Susan

Thanks so very much! Just what I've been looking for.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 03:51 AM
harzer

You forgot the ß for German, which is at ALT 225.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 07:36 AM
xxx

Anyone out there have the same info for us Mac users?

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Tina

Hi! Thanks for the info...my Italian teacher appreciated it as well. I'm not sure how to actually use this, though. <BR>I tried typing ALT and then the appro- <BR>priate number, but it didn't do anything. Can anyone help me?

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:05 PM
cmt

Hi, Tina, <BR> <BR>I'm so glad you had that problem, too. Here's the solution. Hold down the ALT key and at the same time type the numbers from the numerical key pad on the right side of your computer. Do NOT use the numbers at the top of the keyboard because nothing will happen. (You and I must be the only people who didn't realize that it makes a difference. Rex had to explain it to me.) While you're at it, if you hold down ALT and try some other 3-digit combinations, you may find other symbols, fractions, diacritical marks, etc. that you need, because the list above is not quite complete. If you type in Italian, you'll love this -- can finally distinguish between "is" and "and" and write about cities and youth without having to scribble in the accent grave after everything is printed.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Caitlin

Be sure your number lock is off.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 07:03 PM
Ryan Scribbs

I was fooling around with the ALT key and the keypad and came up with a smiley face. Don't remember what keys I hit. My five year old loved it. Can anyone help? I was using MSWord.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:23 AM
Yvonne

I looked in Help and under the index looked for characters then special. I'm on Windows. <BR>If you type in you'll get a picture of a smiley face. (c) yields a copyright symbol. The smiley amused me, the copyright didn't. Also try . <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:01 PM
Tina

Thanks cmt for the help! Unfortunately. I have a laptop. Oh, well. Glad to know <BR>I'm not alone!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:07 PM
xxx

I posted the listing that cmt was so grateful to get. (I think maybe she re-arranged it). <BR> <BR>Even on a laptop, you probably have a num lock key that converts certain letters on the keyboard to numbers. This is the equivalent of the numeric keypad to the left of a standard keyboard. You can most likely do the Alt-xxx combinations using those keys. <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:26 PM
StCIrq

There's a MUCH easier way to do this. <BR> <BR>Set your Keyboard Setting to US International. <BR> <BR>To type accent aigu, hold down the aigu character (under the double quotes) at the same time as you type the letter you want it to go over - e.g.,é <BR>For accent grave, do the same with the grave accent character (under the tilde on he far left hand top of the keybard). <BR>For umlaut, press Shift and the double quote key and the letter. For cedilla, press shift and the single quote key and the letter. For circonflex, press Shift, than the circonflex (over the number 6), then the letter. For the tilde, press Shift, then the tilde sign (over the accent grave sign), then the leter. It becomes habit after a short while, and is much easier than learning all those codes.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:45 PM
?

WHERE do you make the keyboard setting adjustment?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:49 PM
?

Found it, but now I can't simply type apostophe+a, etc.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:50 PM
xxx

I suppose it's under Settings, Control Panel, Keyboard, Language, Properties <BR> <BR>I'm not going to mess with it to find out. <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:15 PM

to the top <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:40 AM
topper

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 11:51 AM
StCirq

To find the Keyboard settings (in Windows environment) go to your Control Panel, click on Keyboard, set it at US International. <BR> <BR>The problem you are encountering with the apostrophes (actually, it's the quotation marks)is that you need to hit the space bar now after you hit the single or double quotation mark. <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:44 PM
Christina

This info is right on your computer any time you want to see it, if you have Windows (on a PC). Just look in the "Accessories" section (I have Windows NT, and that is in the "Programs"), and then open "Character Map". It gives you all foreign characters and tells you the keystrokes to produce them, as well as some other special characters. If you put your pointer on the one you want, the keystroke should be denoted in the bottom right hand corner. Instead of typing them, I think you can use this character map directly with copying, pasting, etc, but that is very time consuming. If you cannot remember where they are, just go into the Windows Help button and search for "character map". I will try the US international keyboard tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -