Two weeks to go and nothing planned!

Oct 6th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Harriet

Two weeks to go and nothing planned!

I'll be meeting my daughter in Rome in two weeks and we have nothing arranged yet, due to a sudden change in plans after recent events. With two weeks to spend, go north or south? Train or car? Ok that might be too much to ask, but any ideas on a two week itinerary would be great. Anyone recommend a good monastery to stay at? Any info at all will be appreciated.

Oct 6th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Rex

Yes, Harriet, you are asking too much, actually.

But I will give you this much, on the easier aspect of your question.

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.shtml

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 7th, 2001, 01:26 AM
bob

Hi Harriet,
to arrange something great in a so short time I reccomend you to contact Catherina at [email protected]
Ask for a car (we had one for 10 days from Rome to Venice-Milan) and I think that near Florence she knows something like an old monastery that you have mentioned. Than from Florence move to Cinque Terre (2h by car).The most romantic thing you can do is rent a little boat for 2-4 persons from a local fisherman and appreciate the beauty of CT by the sea.
HAVE A GOOD TRIP

Oct 7th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Parag

Harriet,
Lonely planet book is the best guide book.Do get it immediately.Go by train.It's the best & safest mode.Itinerary could be
3 Rome
1 Naples
1 Capri
Assisi
Siena
2 Florence
1Pisa
1 Milan
1 venice
Bologna
I have some details about trin trips,Packing list if reqd.No need for hotel bookings in off season.All the best.Be careful about your belongings.Especially on night trains.Mail me for any help.Have been there only twice.

Oct 7th, 2001, 05:53 PM
joe-on-the-go

Harriet -

You'll want to decide if you want to focus on the major cities or if you want to incorporate smaller towns or the countryside (Tuscany or Umbria regions) in your visit. Itinerary suggested by Parag above is "do-able", but a tad too hectic. Do need to allow travel time from one place to next. And should you choose to cover alot of ground, no reason to include Milan in this particular itinerary. Each person has their preferences as to how much time is spent in one location & how much running around they enjoy.

You can easily do the "big 3" (Rome, Florence, Venice) and for travel between those destinations, opt for the train. OR, you may want to choose 2 of the 3 (that would be MY suggestion) and then afterwards, rent a car to explore another area. Here's my 2 cents worth on a couple options:

- option A
Rome 4 nights -- take the train to
Florence 3 nights -- bus or train to
Siena 3 nights -- rent car in Siena; spend a day here & then day trip to several other towns in Tuscany (possibly Volterra & San Gimignano w/quick stop in Monteriggioni if time allows)
2 nights in another Tuscan town or in Umbria

- option B
Start out w/Rome & Florence (train); Come back thru Rome to pick up rent car & head south;
Naples
Sorrento (2 nights) with day trip to Positano and/or Capri
Ravello (2 nights)