Reload this Page >

Two weeks in Spain in October...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 05:52 PM
Gail

I am flying to Seville, Spain for two weeks to visit my boyfriend who will be on leave from the Navy. I'm flying Iberia (any scoop on this airlines?) and we'll be renting a car. Any suggestions on where to go, stay, eat, etc. I have no clue on what to do. Thanks!! P.S. - Do I need to brush up on my Spanish?

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 08:01 PM
graziella

Hi Gail, do not miss Toledo, Cordoba, Granada, ....there are so many more fantastic places.... but with those + SEville and Madrid, assuming you 'll land there you will have your hands full. <BR>To rent a car seems a good idea, and more than brushing your Spanish do some homework and read about those exciting places, their history, food, etc. You ll have fun. Spanish are gracious hosts... Graziella

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 08:41 PM
susan

Are you flying into Jerez? If so, see La Cartuja (monestery outside of Jerez. All of Sevilla is wonderful. And the beaches near Rota, El Puerto de Santa Maria, and San lucar de Barrameda are gorgeous. Out of the way sights near there are the reservoir out of Arcos and Arcos itself. Medina Sidonia and Vejer are worth seeing. But don't omit Granada. <BR>Ok, that's a lot. <BR>While driving, stop and see the little towns. Linger in ventas over wine, olives and bread. Sigh over Ronda's bridge. <BR>How long has your boyfriend been in Spain? What command is he in? Uh, you shouldn't post that... But consider all the possibilities duty takes. <BR>Brushing up in Spanish helps. Have a stupendous time.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 12:49 PM
Gail

Thanks Graziella and Susan for your advice. Susan, my boyfriend is on a six-month Med cruise, and will be in Rota for the ship's upkeep during that time. I'll be flying into Seville and out of Jerez. There was a five hour layover in Madrid if I flew into Jerez (too long). Any suggestions on hotels? Also, where can I find driving directions to and from these airports for him? Thanks again!!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 07:00 AM
susan

Gail, <BR>Once the ship gets to Rota, your boyfriend can ask MWR for airport directions. He could rent a car in Rota and you take train from Sevilla to El Puerto de Santa Maria (that's a town about 20 minutes from the base's back gate, 20 mnutes depending on traffic but the traffic is never hideous). I've taken train from Puerto to Sevilla many times. It's about an 1 hour 15 minute trip. And getting from airport in Sevilla to train station isn't a problem. there's a web site for train schedules mentioned in an earlier post in the forum. Otherwise search for Renfe. <BR>Hotel recommendations? Well I never spent the night in Sevilla, I always went home. But if you want recommendations other places I could give some to you. Let me know where you are thinking and price ranges. <BR>I hate to bring this up, but have you made alternate arrangements or do you have no qualms about traveling alone if the troops are restricted to base or if the ship's port visit is changed/canceled? All those have happened. Two Marine groups were restricted to base just after the USS Saratoga left the Med on her return trip for decommissioning. Lots of stuff happened out in town and base CO restricted base for future ships. Happened again (but for few days) later. HE probably could get out, just would take more time and paperwork. <BR>If that happens, go your own way. Sound harsh? Maybe, but it's what I have learned.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:35 PM
Gail

Thanks for the info Susan. The fact is that my boyfriend's with Military Sealift Command, not the Navy (he got out after six years - so now he works as a federal civilian employee). It's too hard to explain Navy/non-Navy to people, so I just still consider him Navy still. <BR> <BR>Anyway...I wanted him to meet me in Seville so we can start our vacation there. I'm hoping all goes well and he can go ahead with the leave, but if not, I plan on staying either in Rota or Cadiz for a few days and maybe taking day or overnight trips somewhere on my own. <BR> <BR>I've been going crazy trying to figure out an itinerary for the twelve days I'm over there, like where to drive, stay, etc. Any suggestions? Do you think I need to make any reservations BEFORE I go? He'll be renting the car at the base rental office and hopefully meeting me in Seville. Any suggestions on hotels in Rota. Only found the one website? <BR>Thanks for your help!!

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 08:20 PM
susan

12 Days1 What a great time. Let me drag out my books and look around. If you hope to see boyfriend, stay in Rota. It's only across bay from Cadiz but there is no direct link (reliable one). There is usually a little ferry from Puerto to Cadiz. But parking at ferry in Puerto can get sticky. In Rota there's Hotel Caribe, Hotel Playa de la Luz, and a fairly new hotel owned by Playa people but at other end of beach and perhaps a bit closer to base. Playa is a bit nicer than Caribe. You probably could get a room without reservations at this time of year. And there are a few other places too. I'll look. <BR>Day trips are doable from Rota. Definitely must see Sevilla and Ronda and you could do Granada and Cordoba. Short trips with boyfriend could include Arcos, Carmona, Ejica and some other stops. Puerto is a cute little town and Rota's beach and paseo are wonderful-- just a long stretch of gold beach, Cadiz across the bay and blue, blue water. <BR>I'll get back to you with phone numbers and names.

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 12:06 AM
Daniel

Greetings~ <BR>Two suggestions re Seville lodgings: <BR>1) I'm assuming that you're aware of the concept of all-suites hotels. There is one of this type in Seville in the Barrio Santa Cruz. It also happens to be a converted Duke's mansion; AND, if you decide to rent a car, it has secure private parking (a real plus). Cost is approx. $89 per night. <BR>2) Hotel Los Seises <BR>In a restored palace in the Barrio Santa Cruz, this hotel is small and the views are fantastic! Wonderful sun deck on the roof and a great restaurant. To me, this, couple with great rooms, was a bargain at approx. $80 per night. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 12:06 AM
Daniel

Greetings~ <BR>Two suggestions re Seville lodgings: <BR>1) I'm assuming that you're aware of the concept of all-suites hotels. There is one of this type in Seville in the Barrio Santa Cruz. It also happens to be a converted Duke's mansion; AND, if you decide to rent a car, it has secure private parking (a real plus). Cost is approx. $89 per night. <BR>2) Hotel Los Seises <BR>In a restored palace in the Barrio Santa Cruz, this hotel is small and the views are fantastic! Wonderful sun deck on the roof and a great restaurant. To me, this, coupled with great rooms, was a bargain at approx. $80 per night. <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 1999, 10:36 AM
susan mador

Gail, <BR>Here is a proposed schedule for 12 days and if boyfriend has leave for all 12. Pick up in Sevilla. Spend 2 full days there. Drive to Cordoba with stops in Carmona and Ecija along way. A day in Cordoba with a stop in Medina Azahara about half day. Drive to Granada along the 403. I haven't taken that roud but have taken similar ones and it should be a pretty drive with plenty of diversion opportunities. <BR>Granada should be a 2 day. <BR>So far this has been a standard tour. <BR>From Granada I'd head to Alora. It's a tiny town in the Valle de Sol. There's a huge gorge near there and it's a pretty area. Alora has two or three tiny hostel type places. Road from Granada to Alora would not take you over highways, just twisty roads. If Alora doesn't sound what you're looking for, try Antequerra. <BR>From that stop head for Ronda I'd spend a night there. <BR>From Ronda, back to Rota with a stop in Arcos. Spend some time in El Puerto de Santa Maria and Take a visit to Jerez. <BR>Jerez is a agreat place for wandering. Coming in to Jerez from Rota, I'd park under the castle (alcazar) and wander. <BR>If you still have time and have not been burned out on white towns, churches, and jamon serrano, take a trip down the coast to Vejer or Conil de la Frontera and Cabo Trafalgar.