Two weeks between Dusseldorf and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting friends in Dusseldorf and then have about two weeks until we meet our daughter in Paris. We are planning on heading south to Strasbourg and Alsace region. Maybe continue on to Basel and then over to Dijon and up through Burgundy to Paris. Any thoughts on this itinerary and/or something i am missing. Thanks for input.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:23 AM

One quick question - are you traveling by car or train?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

my guess is we will do a little of both. We are still in planning stages ... and clearly need help.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM

Both Düsseldorf (which is a very beautiful city with lots of sights and attractions) and Paris have excellent connections. You can practically do what you want.

The train from Düsseldorf to Strasbourg takes 6 hours, by car it should be less than 4 hours. Alsace is a pretty region - I can give you more details if you like. Basel is just around the corner and good for a daytrip from Alsace.

From Alsace to Bourgogne it is another short drive, but you may take a detour through Switzerland in order to see a bit of the Alps (which I would recommend). Bourgogne is similar to Alsace, maybe with the difference that everything in Alsace (villages, scenery) is a bit more beautiful than in Bourgogne. I personally prefer Beaune over Dijon (Hospice de Beaune, Wine caves, picturesque old town), but that might be disputed by others.

Two weeks are certainly plenty of time for your intended trip with lots of options for sidetrips.
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your info. You are not the first to tell me they prefer Beaune over Dijon. Would love your info/details re: Alsace.

What do you recommend as detour into Switzerland? Basel, of course; others?