Two questions regarding trip - Zurich to Dolomites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked our flights and now starting to plan. We fly in and out of Zurich for 2 weeks in late August. Dolomites are a must but we are otherwise open. We'll have a car. I've two major questions:

1) We want to spend 5-7 days in the Dolomites. We've been to Val Gardena twice (Ortisei and Santa Cristina). We like to hike, and to take as many forms of mountain transport as possible so loved the many lifts in Val Gardena. For this trip, we're thinking we should explore more - maybe, Alta Badia? Any suggestions other than Val Gardena (or just stick with that as it always seems to be the first recommendation on the various message boards)

2) I'm also looking for any tips for the remaining 7- 9 days. On our first Dolomite trip, our route was Dolomites, Riva del Garda, then a farm near Innsbruck. Another time we started at a farm near Fussen, then Dolomites, then friends in Zurich. Both trips were fabulous. Kids definitely want another farm somewhere.

We tend to like smaller towns, lots of outdoor time, wandering and the occasional day trip into a bigger place. Kids really enjoyed the thermal baths near Fussen. We've never been to Salzburg, or to most of Switz, or anywhere in Germany except Fussen, Italy is our favorite place in the world so I always feel the tug to spend more time there.
Any suggestions for a route are most welcome especially if anyone knows of a farm where you could still walk into a town or village. My problem at this stage is everything I read sounds great! I realize this is a good kind of problem to have Thanks for any thoughts.

Margie
Old May 13th, 2011, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In reply to question 1. If you have a car then yes I would definateley recommend the Alta Badia region. You also have the option of driving to Cortina from here. Also you could visit the Val Di Fassa region (villages of Canazei, Campitello, Val Di Fassa etc).

Other options of where to visit for your trip can be found in the following excellant trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-daughter.cfm

Staying in Val Gardena is obviously the preferred choice in the Dolomites but as you have already stayed there twice then I would recommend that you stay in ALta Badia for a change.