Reload this Page >

Two questions about the Naples/Amalfi area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Suzanne

My original trip of 9 or 10 days is getting longer and longer. I will probably add another day to spend more time in Florence. But that will put me in the Amalfi Coast on the weekend. <BR> <BR>First question: Is the Capri/Amalfi coast area especially crowded on the weekends or is it always crowded? Going in early June, 2002. <BR> <BR>Second question: Is there a way to get to Sorrento and the Amalfi area without stopping in Naples? I continue to hear bad stories about pickpockets and seedy characters in the Naples train station.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Steve James

Hello Suzanne, <BR> <BR>1. Weekends are generally pretty busy down there in June, but not so crowded as to spoil a visit. <BR> <BR>2. If you're travelling from Rome, there is a bus twice a day ROME-SORRENTO with departures at 06.45 (daily) and 15.00 (Mon-Sat) from Tiburtina Station. Journey time is 4 hours. <BR> <BR>There is also a NAPLES-SORRENTO hydrofoil/ferry service. <BR> <BR>If you're going to AMALFI first, you can catch a direct train Rome-Salerno (Eurostar or Intercity). <BR>Salerno-Amalfi by ferry takes 35 mins. <BR>Salerno-Amalfi by bus takes 70 mins. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Nancy

Steve, <BR> <BR>Is there a train from the airport to Tiburtina? Or just Termini, and then connect to Tiburtina? I like the idea of the bus to Sorrento. We arrive in Rome at 13:00, would the 15:00 bus be feasible? And can you buy tickets for the bus at the airport? <BR> <BR>You have been a wealth of information on transportation! Thank you.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Steve James

Hello Nancy, <BR> <BR>Yes, there is a direct train from FCO airport to Tiburtina Station. Catch the train headed for FARA SABINA (departs every 15 mins.), NOT the one for Roma Termini. <BR>Journey time to Tiburtina is about 45 mins. <BR> <BR>The timing might be tight but if you are first off the plane and reclaim your luggage quickly you SHOULD make it! <BR> <BR>I'm not sure if you can get the bus tickets at the airport but I doubt it. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Sandra

Hi, <BR>Been to Sorrento and Amalfi, it's an amazing place. June is not high season there so it shouldn't be too crowded. The local buses to Amalfi are very cheap and pretty reliable, even if the drive along the coast is pretty hair raising! Don't miss Positano, it's truly everything you could imagine and more. Capri is another must, you don't need to book a tour, they're expensive and you can see it by yourself. Marina Piccolo has a beautiful restaurant overlooking the faraglioni rocks, it's a memory you'll treasure. If I can be of further help you can contact me at the e-mail address above. I've been to Rome also and Florence and Pisa. <BR>regards, <BR>Sandra

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Suzanne

Thanks Steve and Sandra! What I was thinking about was taking the EuroStar from Florence to Rome. I could then take the train from Rome to Salerno. <BR> <BR>The Naples to Sorrento hydrofoil is an idea, but my main goal is to avoid the Naples train station. I am concerned about the many crime incidents I have heard about from there. <BR> <BR>Two more questions <BR>1) If I take the train to Salerno, can I pick up the SITA but to Amalfi? <BR> <BR>2) Does the run from Rome to Salerno stop at Pompeii - the ancient site, as opposed to Pompei, the modern town?

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Linda

Suzanne, to answer your last 2 questions: <BR> <BR>1) Yes, the SITA bus goes from Sorrento to Salerno and back, stopping in Amalfi both directions. <BR> <BR>2) I do not believe the train from Rome to Salerno stops in Pompeii. I believe these are different trains. The one that stops at Pompeii is the Circumvesuviana, a commuter train connecting Naples and Sorrento. There may, however, be a way to stop in the middle and get to Pompeii. Does anybody know of one? <BR> <BR>Having said all this, of course it is your decision, but I think you are being too fearful of going through the Naples train station. If you put all your valuables in your luggage, keeping a minimum amount of cash on you, and you are vigilant while you are there, nothing should happen. Yes, there have been a number of thefts in the train station. And, yes, it will happen again. But many people go through the train station every day safely. I would venture to say the largest percentage of them were ripped off simply because they let their guard down, if only for an instant. It is not as safe as your own bed, but it is not as bad as it has been made out. If your easiest travel plans take you thru the station, then I say to go for it. Then stash your valuables and keep your eyes open and your wits about you.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Nora

Suzanne, I have gone from Sorrento to Rome on the bus that you catch at Piazza Tasso early in the morning. It makes a few stops and gets you straight into a Rome bus station, where you can catch a cab to the center of the city. <BR>No muss and no fuss. <BR>I have also taken a train from Rome to Sorrento where you change to a small commuter train in Naples. The only problem there for me was I had way too much luggage and it was hard getting down the stairs. Otherwise it was fine. <BR>Like the previous poster mentioned, just keep your wits about you and focused and things should be fine. <BR>It is not as bad as we thought it would be, just a noisy train station. We thought we would be plucked clean of all our valuables from what we had read.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Steve James

Suzanne - The timetable for the Salerno-Amalfi bus is on: <BR>www.campaniatrasporti.it/sita/5121.htm <BR>Journey time is 75 mins. <BR>(The ferry takes 35 mins). <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Sherry

Hi Steve. Have you said before, I cannot seem to find the information. How far is the Salerno train station from the ferry departure dock? Also, from Amalfi, to go to Siena...would there be a train that would take me to Siena without going through Rome or is this really the only way? There is a direct Salerno-Rome train, but I was hoping not to have to change trains at the Termini. Or of course, there could be another way, but the Rome connection is the most efficient. What do you think?

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:18 PM
GAC

The train station in Salerno is about 300 yards from the boat dock with service to Amalfi, Positano and Capri. It takes no more than five minutes on foot. The boat dock is also next to Piazza della Concordia, from where buses depart for the Amalfi Coast (and coincidentally also southbound to Paestum).

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:57 PM
hope

Hello GAC!!!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:11 AM
Steve James

Hi Sherry, <BR> <BR>GAC's answered the first part of your Q - the Piazza della Concordia jetty is very convenient for the station. <BR>(There are also ferries and hydrofoils from the Molo Manfredi harbour in Salerno, but this is less convenient for the station). <BR>Ferries may not be running as early as April, though. I'm not sure about this. <BR> <BR>Amalfi-Siena? You would normally have to change twice between Salerno and Siena - at Roma Termini and at CHIUSI. <BR> <BR>www.trenitalia.it currently lists a 13.33 departure from Salerno direct to Chiusi, so with that you'd avoid changing at Rome. You'd need to re-check this in the New Year, though, as current timetables are only valid till January. <BR>Journey time Salerno-Siena is 6-6.5 hours. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:50 AM
Sherry

Hi Steve. As far as I know, the ferries will be running in April. I got on a couple of tourism sights and the hydrofoils will not be running but my understanding is the ferries will. The apartment where I am seriously considering staying has an owner that has very good English. I sure he will be able to tell me. But I haven't made the reservation yet and I will wait to ask for more information from him once I do. I found finally one train that runs directly Salerno-Florence which would work. We will be staying halfway between the two. If I have to, I will just back track. But the train is at 8:40 from Salerno and that could be a little tricky. The trains that switch in Rome give me a lot more options. Thanks again Steve. And Thanks to GAC.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 09:37 AM
GAC

There are buses from Amalfi to Salerno leaving at 5:15, 6:00, 6:30 and 7:05 a.m. which arrive in Salerno in 75 minutes. The 6:00 a.m. service is daily, the others Monday thru Saturday. You can double-check with the local tourist office in Amalfi. Further, I would anticipate that there is at least one ferry or hydrofoil from Amalfi to Salerno which easily connects to the 8:40 a.m. northbound train.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 09:16 PM
Suzanne

You have all been so wonderful and informative! After thinking about my travel plans, I probably will go from Florence to Naples and then catch the circumvesuvius. <BR> <BR>One final question - about Capri - there is supposed to be a particularly beautiful walk on the island, but I can't remember the name. Does any one know the name of this pathway? It is the Via "something".

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 01:19 AM
Steve James

Suzanne - it's Via Krupp. For views see: <BR>www.capri.net <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:45 AM
fan

Hi! I don't know if it's the same walk, but my husband and I did a walk in Capri which is probably the most breathtaking walk of our lives. If you take the funicular up to the square, facing the far end of the square is an archway (ask anyone for the archway that leads to the arco naturale). First you walk through a residential area. It's amazing how people who live there get things delivered, because there is only a narrow path. Near the Arco Naturale is a restaurant that is a must for lunch. Before you leave the square, ask about it and phone for a reservation. The "kitchen" is in the rocks and you eat on a terrace,high up, overlooking a cove. After seeing the A.N., take the stairs (near the restaurant). There are about 380 of them!! But you are going down, so it is Ok. At one point, we thought we were going on forever and that perhaps we were lost (there was nobody else around). But eventually, we arrived at the Frangioli (sp) rocks and then entered the town from the other side. IT WAS WONDERFUL.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:14 AM
Suzanne

Oh that walk sound wonderful. But was it steep? <BR> <BR>Also, if I wanted to do the boat trip around the island, can I just walk up to the dock and hire a boat? Or are there organized tour companies?

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:58 AM
fan

Hi Suzanne. We are in our 50's and not athletic. If we could do it, so can you!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -