Two full days in Belfast

Dec 27th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Joan

Two full days in Belfast

Oops...I got this posted on Europe's form and meant it for Ireland.

I am thinking of going from Dublin to Belfast where I will spend two full days, not including travel time. I'd like to know the best way to get there. I will have been in Western Ireland for two weeks and will leave the others and travel by bus or train to Dublin and on to Belfast.
How should I travel? What can I do in Belfast to make the best of my time. I want to stay in a hotel in the best, most accessible part of town so I could possibly get out and walk around to the stores. Is there a better suggestion for lodging?
I was at the Giants's Causeway for a couple of hours 1 1/2 years ago. Would like to see more of it but since I have already been there, is there something else I should see that would make more use of my time and money?

Dec 27th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Cathy

Joan,
If you are planning to travel to Belfast by public transport the check out www.cie.ie for links to the rail and bus network. The rail network to Belfast from Dublin leaves from Connolly station and it is particularly good (in comparsion to the rest of the Irish rail system which is beyond description !!)

Check out www.ni-tourism.com for infor'on Northen Ireland and things to see and do around Belfast. Be sure and visit the Crown Bar and maybe take one of the Bus tours of Belfast - they do the Troubles trail. When are you planning to travel ? If it is summer time then Queens University rent out rooms at very low rates. Hope this helps,

Cathy

Do a search on this site for more information on N. Ireland and Ireland.

Dec 27th, 2000, 06:40 PM
EJ

The train is a very good way to get to Belfast from Dublin. A free bus takes you directly into Belfast near City Hall. We only spent the day, so didn't see much outside of the main city. We also visited the Crown Bar, which I would recommend, and were lucky enough to get one of the private booths. The Europa hotel is right across the street, but looks pricey. A Black Taxi tour which took us through the Shankill area was reasonable and informative. Most of our initial information came from Belfast's website and the receptionists at our hotel in Dublin. Remember to change your currency for Belfast.

Dec 27th, 2000, 11:31 PM
Simon

I travelled that way in summer 1997. I preferred to take a coach from Dublin, and did not regret it. The coaches are very efficient and cheap. The return price was (IRL) 12 ! Also, the trains tend to have a number of backpackers as they travel free with a rail pass. Coaches leave from the bus station in Dublin centre and drop you off at the Europa bus station in Belfast (brand new in 97). This is right at the centre. You can enjoy the scenery and relax without worrying about your possessions on a coach. Not so on the train. The journey was about 4 hours either way. The drivers were really considerate. Make sure you have all you need to enter UK, as sometimes border checks are carried out. No visa = deportation.
In N Ireland, i visited the oldest chartered whickey factory near Giant's Causeway, by opentopper doubledecker bus. There are also some beautiful places in that area, including an island where puffins are found. Two days is perfect. One day you can tour Belfast (very compact city centre) and 1 day you can take the coach (strongly recommended) from Europa Station to the Causeway via some really stunning scenery around Co. Antrim. You even get 15 minutes to walk around in a village or two.
Have a Good Trip !

Dec 28th, 2000, 06:15 PM
Darren

I don't know about the official tours of Belfast, but unless you're a complete "Troubles Freak" do NOT take the Belfast tour from the youth hostel. I was unfortunate enough to accompany an American visitor on it last week. They spend 90 minutes in West Belfast, doing the wall murals and stuff, 10 minutes at Belfast Castle (with no explanation) and then just drive past every other sight in the city (yes, even City Hall). You would think nothing had ever happened apart from the Troubles. Save your money and walk.

Search this Thread