Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two days to delightfully kill between Venice and Rome. Where should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending 9 days in Florence in late October, early November. After that, we have two days until we have to show up in Rome. We aren't planning on renting a car but instead travel by train and we're looking for a fairly easy place to get from whatever city we decide to visit, to Rome by train. We have already stayed in Greve-in Chianti and Sienna. We were thinking about going back to Venice but are open for suggestions from you guys! Thank you.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM

Parma or Bologna?
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Those are great suggestions, Andrew, thank you! I am checking them out now....
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Bologna is right on the train line so super easy to get to. Parma requires a connection (in Bologna probably) but is smaller and more intimate than Bologna, not very touristed by American tourists.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Verona?
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Perugia
Naples
Ravenna
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic! I am leaning towards Bologna, I think but have also thought about Lucca. Am going to check out Ravenna now - what is it you love about Ravenna, ellenem?
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Check hotel prices on your dates before committing. Bologna gets a lot of business conventions I think that inflate hotel prices. I wouldn't visit if the city is all booked up.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Instead of people guessing at your interests, or you assessing if what they love about a place is interesting to you, why don't you post your interests? Did you prefer Greve to Siena or vice versa? Why would you want to go back to Venice?

Ravenna is one of Europe's most important repositories of high Byzantine mosaic art. Bologna is a city filled with traffic and commerce, but with a medieval core of subtle interest, and plenty of rich pasta and rich shopping. Lucca is one of those Tuscan towns where you can spend 4 hours wandering and getting lost without understanding a thing about history, and have an upscale lunch and shop in boutique stores. For some people, it's like a Venice without the water.

There about a zillion places in Italy you could spend 2 interesting days before going to Rome -- provided they are interesting to you. What is the point of people suggesting places if their main attractions will never interest you?
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM

We love Orvieto. It's about halfway between Florence and Rome. It's high on a steep hill and there are spectacular views all around. there's lots of old caves now occupied by restaurants, and you can take an underground tour. The Duomo is gorgeous. There's an Etruscan museum on the Piazza del Duomo, an old fort and an old well that was dug way, way down from the top of the hill you can walk down into (costs about $5 I think) if you don't mind a zillion steps. It's quite a small town up on the rock, but a nice place to just be. Lots of shops selling pottery. There's a trail that leads all around the hill if you want a nice hike with more pretty views.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Good point, zeppole. I love Greve but one of the reasons is because I was staying in a farmhouse and had the opportunity to shop at the incredible market, the butcher and the baker. We sort of love it all - museums, art, eating, drinking and to a lesser extent shopping. Venice was where we met up with my daughter after not seeing her for 6 months so it will always be special but I feel like we didn't scratch the surface there. Hard to make it past Piazza San Marco, our first Italian gelato and gondola in the day and a half we spent there although we had an amazing dinner at Alle Testiere and stayed at fantastic hotel. I think we are looking for something that seems uniquely different than Rome and Florence. I know Venice fits that bill but I am sure in their own ways, so do lots of other places. I know we will have fun no matter where we go but wanted to hear from others who have explored more of Italy than us. Also, my husband is fluent in Italian so we're not too nervous about people not speaking English. Does that help at all? Again thanks!!
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 08:31 PM

We loved Lucca, Verona & Treviso (although the last 2 don't really fit your "between Venice & Rome" criteria). Can I second the question asked by another poster: what did you think of Greve in Chianti vs Siena? We are thinking of these for our next trip, and would love to hear some feedback on them.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, charnees! Orvieto seems to fit the bill as to a unique experience as it has an archeological aspect to it and some great views. We LOVED Pompei and the Scavi tour and we're looking forward to checking out the recently uncovered theatre under the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.

twoflower, we loved Greve in Chianti - it was a good central point for traveling around Tuscany. We stayed at an old farmhouse in a vineyard which was amazing except that we felt guilty leaving it every day to check out other places because it was so nice. You're surrounded by lots of wineries, terrific restaurants - you have to try peposo at Mangiando Mangiando, http://www.mangiandomangiando.it/2/ and find the porchetta truck at the local market. Best sandwich in all of Italy. Siena is a fortress city with lots of history and art, an amazing view from its highest tower, Torre del Mangia and lots of narrow streets to explore. Both are in a easy distance from one another if you have a car. Good luck - you and I have lots of options!
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM

I agree about Orvieto! What a lovely city.

Your husband's fluency in Italian could really help if you wanted to get a bit off the beaten path, however. The southern part of Tuscany has towns including Pitigliano, which is smaller than Orvieto but quite nice.

Also, if you want something archeological, Tarquinia is really impressive with its etruscan tombs, as well as Cerveteri (more etruscan tombs). They are between Florence and Rome and definitely worth visiting.

And if you want something really off the tourist track, come to Le Marche, where I live!
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 02:58 AM

I vote for Orvieto too. It is a perfect stop en route to Rome.

If you wanted to rent a car, I would also suggest spending those two days in Le Marche. I think you would even be there in time for the white truffle fairs. We loved our visit a couple years ago to La Tavola Marche:

http://www.latavolamarche.com/html/

The drive from Florence was beautiful and then very easy to get back to Rome for our flight home.
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 04:10 AM

In May www.orvieto.info beautiful Etruscan hill town

was perfect for us Hotel Grand Italia central nice 100euro/nt

Cute little funicular ride up from train Station

5 euro or so regional train a little over an hour north

of Rome we trained on to Florence 5 euro for a couple

of days then to Venice bauervenezia.com had a GREAT time.

In the past www.assisi.com old town pretty

www.lucca.info pretty bologna perugia uni industrial pretty

ugly from personal experience Parma too far north look at a

map Siena possible also fairly nice.

seat61.com/italy have a look at train map 2 days not

a lot of time make it count.. Orvieto Florence for me

Happy Deciding,

Happy Hunting
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 04:44 AM

I love Ravenna because of its wealth of mosaics. It is not dramatically situated on a hilltop. It's just a sleepy town that happens to have one of the most impressive collections of Byzantine mosaics spread over a number of buildings around town. Ravenna gets its share of tour buses, but most make a quick stop in the morning and then move on their way. After lunch, tourists who visit on their own will have many of the sights to themselves and the residents. Bicycles are a prevalent form of transportation--years ago the chamber of commerce provided bikes for free--and it would be easy to take a countryfied bike ride across the flat fields to St Apollonaire in Classe to view the mosaics there. This could be a low key break in between busier cities, but an interest in mosaics (some of the most beautiful anywhere) may be a key to enjoying a visit.
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 05:54 AM

There are many cities which you can visit by train from Rome. Ancona is a seaport town just 4 hours away from Rome by train and also Naples which is the biggest city in southern Italy and also it is third most populated city, is ninety minutes drive from Rome by train.
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 06:12 AM

We loved Spoleto, Orvieto and Assisi. And Perugia, Gubbio and Pisa.

It is a difficult question for those in love with Italy. Sigh.
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all of your great suggestions! Italy really is an embarrassment of riches isn't it? So far we are loving the idea of a town like Orvieto - in between Florence and Rome, probably a little less crowded in November and easy to get to by train. A couple of questions - We are tentatively holding two nights at Hotel Palazzo Piccolomini - has anyone stayed there? Also, we were briefly swayed to the stunning Monterosso in Cinque Terre (I know, a little off our path) but it seems the town closes up a lot of things on Nov. 1st - at least according to two hotels we talked to. The seaside really calls to us but will most resort towns be closed in November - for example, Porto Ercole? Thanks again. Can't wait to get to Italy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -