Two days in Provence.

Jul 24th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Jorge

Two days in Provence.

I will visit southern France in October. I plan to spend two days in Provence. Where is the best place to stay as a "base camp"? Any suggestions. Thank you.

Jul 24th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Fred

I like St Remy as a base. Convenient for many towns ( Arles, Avignon, Rousillon, Gordes, Cabrieres, Lacoste, Menerbes, Bonnieux, others. Small enough to be easy in and out of without traffic hassles, charming little town. For Paris information e-mail me [email protected]

Jul 25th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Jen

Jorge - St. Remy would be a great base. You can explore the Luberon region from there, as well as all the towns around St. Remy - Les Baux, Arles (didn't like that town actually), Tarascon, Avignon, etc. If it's your first time to Provence, it's a wonderful location for your introduction. Have fun!

(FYI - Beware of Fred, as he'll try to sell you information on France.)

Jul 25th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Christina

Two days is not very long at all, so I think it really depends on what you most want to see in those two days and, especially, if you will have a car or not. If you must rely on public transportation (which may be best for only a first-time two-day trip), St Remy is not appropriate as it doesn't have a train station, although it would be a good choice. I'd suggest Arles if you like smaller towns or Avignon if you like larger ones if you want to be on a train line--from there you can see Arles, Avignon, Nimes very easily. If you want to see Les Baux, the best base sans care is Arles as the bus tours seem to be from there rather than Avignon. Avignon is one of my favorite cities, although I know others seem to dislike it on here--I was just in Provence and had a car (stayed in another area more in the upper Vaucluse/Gigondas area which is not as popular with tourists as St Remy and the Luberon, which is what I wanted) but still went to Avignon for one day as I like it. Their Petit Palais museum there is one thing I especially like. Are you a country or city guy? What do you want to see and do?

Jul 25th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Christina

Actually, now that I think of it Arles is not really a small town, I didn't mean to imply that, but it is smaller than Avignon (population about half of Avignon, I think, more like 50K instead of 100K). You won't get too many real small towns with rail stations. There is one in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue where I just was, among other places, but that's not very central for a two-day trip.