Reload this Page >

two days in Brussels

Search

two days in Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Marj

two days in Brussels

My husband and I are planning a side trip from Amsterdam and have three days. We're thinking of a train to Brussels, one day to see the city, an overnight and the next day to Brugge, then to Paris to spend two nights (great "one day in Paris" tips on this site in response to another's question!). Any tips on what to see? Is this sensible? <BR>Marj

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:49 AM
CAROLE

Yes, it is sensible. There are a couple of alternatives. Go to Brugge first and spend overnight there (more romantic) then head to Brussels for a day trip and on to Paris. If you one of your travel preferences is trying good restaurants, I would overnight in Brussels. Some of the best cuisine in Europe can be found in Brussels. <BR> <BR>In Brugge,take the canal tour and go to the Grand Place and the Church of our Lady where you can see Michaelangelo's Madonna and Child. <BR> <BR>In Brussels, tour the Grand Place, Notre Dame de Sablon for some of the most beautiful stained glass in Europe and of course the notorious Mannekin Pis. <BR> <BR>I recommend a trip to O'Comme Trois Pommes for a reasonalby priced and excellent meal. <BR> <BR>Regards!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:54 AM
wes fowler

I agree with Carole's suggestion to overnight in Bruges rather than Brussels. Bruges gets inundated with tourists during the day time. By staying overnight you can avoid those tourists by touring in the early morning or late afternoon. Bruges, too, has some superb restaurants (not those surrounding the Markt square). You'll find hotel prices less expensive in Bruges and the quality far greater than in Brussels. There is one exception to that statement. You can get bargain rates in Brussels on Friday and Saturday nights, when the European bureaucrats return to their home countries. If you'd like some dining suggestions in Bruges, drop me an Email.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Betsy

Personally, I'd skip Brussels in favor of more time in Brugge. Brussels' Grand <BR>Place and surrounding area is much like other old towns in Europe. Perhaps a long lunch, especially if you're into mussels. Brugges is incredible and it is easy to get to Paris on the Thalys through Brussels from there.If you have time and are interested in WW! history, consider the Quasimodo tour in Brugges. It is fantastic and not too expensive.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:56 PM
arlene

Marj- we did a similar trip. I thought brugge was very pretty but the cruise ships empty there and it is wall to wall people. If you go there is a Wonderful!!! restaurant called Du Snipe- expensive but great. We loved Antwerp and couldn't believe we could walk right up to the Reubens paintings in the magnificent church in the square. We also loved Brussels. If you like art, the museum is unreal- Flemish masters famous works. There is another great restaurant overlooking the Grand Place called La Maison De Cygne- really good. I guess I differ with the other folks- I liked Brugge the least and loved the other 2 cities. Thalys to Paris is a great way to travel. enjoy

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Kim

I was in Belgium and the Netherlands in September...took the bike tour "let's go tours of the countryside - which was so much fun and informative. We stayed in Brussels and I loved it...BUT fell in love with Brugge, it is so beautiful very romantic, the people are wonderful, eat Frites on the square buy them at the base of the belltower, drink Criek Bier. I was there several days and walked my legs off...I didn't find it crowded in September at all. The market on Saturday was great. Walk to the Brugge windmills, take the canal tours, they all go to the same places and just enjoy!