Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two-day trip into the Netherlands from Antwerp

Apr 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to be traveling with my wife, daughter, and her daughter (8 mos. old) to the Netherlands from Antwerp on April 30th. Our main goal is to see the tulip fields. I just have a few questions. I understand from reading these posts that the area around Lisse has great tulip fields and that Keukenhof is also worth seeing. Would you recommend that we rent a car, especially with the little one? And will it be hard to find a place to stay (say, a B&B or small inn) in that area this time of year?

We're also thinking of visiting Zaanse Schans. Anyone been there and can comment? Is it Disney-esque or does it seem genuine?

Thank you!
Apr 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Yes, there are probably no hotels within flying distance of Keukenhof on April 30. Try a Zimmer Frei in Zandvoort. Cheap but not well know clean rooms in private homes catering to German tourists. Besides, April 30 is the Sunday after Queen's Day. Everyone in Holland will have a hangover.

You can do it by train and bus. Use the search box above to search this forum for keukenhof for plenty of advice.

Apr 10th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Leiden is close to the Keukenhoff. There is a great small hotel in the center of town. Sorry at the moment can't remember the name. The town is very nice!
Apr 11th, 2006, 04:36 AM

It is a very busy weekend in the netherlands, as surrounding countries like Germany, Belgium etc., all have a free day on May 1. (Monday).
Usually many people therefore come to the netherlands for a long weekend.
Better try to make reservations in advance.
Keukenhof and Lisse are the best for viewing tulips etc.
Zaanse Schans is about 10 miles north of Amsterdam (near Zaandam). If you stay in the surroundings of Keukenhof, Leiden or haarlem is it easy to visit as a daytrip.
Apr 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM

It's very easy to travel to Keukenhof by public transport: train from Antwerpen Centraal to Leiden Centraal (1 change in Rotterdam Centraal, journey is 1 hr 48 min.), then take Keukenhof Express (bus).
Check www.bookings.nl for hotels in Leiden and/or Lisse (=Keukenhof).
Keukenhof is very pretty but can get very crowded on a Sunday!