Reload this Page >

Two best cities in Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Roger

Hi folks. If you had to pick the 2 best, most loved cities in Spain, which would they be? And why? I would like to visit a maximum of 2 cites in early March. Thanks all....

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Mickey

Costa Del Sol Marebella is a must also very close is Gibralter, Or a day trip to Tangiers Africa (morocco) Is a must you can done all three in three days also Seville is and exelent city

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 06:02 AM
scott

I am living in Malaga and although not a `tourist city` is is very Spanish and my wife and I love it. Granada would have to come in second (or perhaps even first) we have not actually been there but everyone tells me it is the place to visit!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 06:16 AM
wendy

I'd vote for Madrid, for the wonderful museums, and plus it's an exciting and busy city, and then Granada, for the beautiful Alhambra, and the childhood home of Federico Garcia Lorca.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Deena

Okay, my two choices are Toledo and Seville. Both are very beautiful.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Roger! <BR>You don't say how you define "best" (best for museums would definitely be Madrid, best for architecture would be Barcelona, best for beach would be somewhere south on the coast...you get my drift). Also, you are asking for cities, so I'm not going to mention favorite towns (much smaller than cities). <BR> <BR>My two most loved cities are Sevilla and Granada. Both of them are very vibrant. Both have magnificent sights. Both offer great day-trips to nearby areas. Both have a great blend of cultures. And both deserve more than a day or two to really soak-up their atmosphere and do them justice. I've been to Spain twice in March and it is a good time to visit. It's not as touristy as the summer (although they still get a LOT of tourists) and it's not hot. Even though Madrid is hot during the summer, I still prefer it during the summer because that's when you can sit in the many outdoor cafes....But now, I'm babbling.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 08:03 AM
StCirq

My votes go to Sevilla and Granada. The old center of Sevilla is simply gorgeous. The Alhambra in Granada atook my breath away, as did seeing Ferninand and Isabella in their tiny coffins. Close seconds would be Cordoba and Toledo. Madrid has great art, but it has never appealed to me for any other reason.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Patrick

First choice for me would have to be Madrid. Seville is really wonderful, but might fall in place third behind Barcelona.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Elaine

I'll give you 2 extremes: Madrid and Toledo. One big and one small. We are constantly surprised at how sparkling white the beautiful buildings are, the amount of gorgeous fountains and tree filled parks that you hardly hear mentioned. Take a 3 hour bus tour and find out 1st hand. <BR>Toledo is an easy train ride away and a very walkable town. That is if you don't have any problems that prevent you from making it up some of the steep streets. Flat it's not! My calves, ouch! It definately deserves an overnight or at least a very full day. It's a do-able size for a day trip which might allow you an unexpected choice of a 3rd city......Seville. Why keep it to 3 when in reality 3 will actually work well?

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Susan

My votes go to Toledo and Granada. We stayed at a Parador( Conte de Orgaz)(I think) overlooking the city. It was great! Toledo is a great city with friendly people.Granada is beautiful. The Alhambra transports you back in time.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Tom

Sevilla and Granada hands down. Stay at the parador in the Alhambra if you can (or nearby). The town of Granada was fun to wander, but preferred not staying there at night. Sevilla - splurge and stay at the Alfonso XIII, it's great.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:46 AM
AW

My votes go to Granada and Madrid. (No real consensus on this thread.) Madrid surprised me - I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Granada is a wonderful laid-back place where you can soak up the atmosphere. High marks also to Seville, Ronda (for a short stay) and Barcelona.