Twelve days dilemma

Search

Twelve days dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twelve days dilemma

Hi, we're planning a trip to Rome the end of Sept. Would like to visit Florence and Venice as well, but since we have twelve days plus two travel days, which cities would you spend the most time in?

Plan to travel by train from Rome to the other two and return from Venice to Milan by train, flying out of Milan. Any idea as to train travel time between those cities?

Your help is greatly appreciated. My husband and I are both 60 yrs. old, travelling alone (no kids)and we're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.
Would not want to rush everything. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Here's how I would divide it:

4 days Rome
2 days Florence
4 days Venice
2 days for in-country travel and serendipity

If not interested in serendipity, then 5 days Rome.

I'm not into Renaissance art and architecture, and I find Florence to be a very unpleasant city. But if you are really a Renaissance freak, then you might want to increase Florence to 3 days.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:53 PM

I like Rufus' idea, but agree that if you are art fans, then split the time between Florence and Venice equally.

Is there a reason you are flying out of Milan? Can you fly into Rome and out of Venice? That would surely give you some extra time.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for advice Rufus. I'll look into flying out of Venice Statia, We're flying Alitalia from Florida to Rome, don't particularly want to travel back to Rome for return. Is Venice's airport large? or probably flying out locally to Rome or Milan?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Venice's Marco Polo Airport is not considered large, as in typical US hub large, but does have flights to a lot of international destinations. I'd definitely look into it to save you a trip to Milan. Also, open jaw tickets are actually cheaper at times.

Good luck!