Tuscany- Winery Reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched the boards but still can't figure out how to make reservations at Tuscan wineries. It's my understanding that you really need to make reservations in advance. I'll be staying in Gaiole in Chianti for a week in early September and will have a car. Is there a directory of wineries with contact information anywhere? Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM
RJD

It's been my experience that reservations are generally not necessary at any but the largest wineries. But you can reserve at one of the largest, Castello Banfi outside Montalchino, at their web site. You can also reserve a tasting lunch which I highly recommend.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:55 AM

I got this tip from the boards:

from my trip report "Before we left home I had inquired about a wine tour and [email protected] wrote me a very nice email, but unfortunately our schedule did not match his. They produce Chianti and you can visit at 11 am Monday through Friday but you reserve space ahead of time. 2 hours @E16/person, including wine tasting of 4 wine. I was mostly interested in the wine and food @E36/person. It's 1 hour from Florence"
Papermoon
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:00 AM

You might also try Villa Vignamaggio's website. They are near Greve but not too far from Gaiole. They have a great tour and the grounds are heavenly.

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:50 AM

The tour at Castello Verrazzano is worth the trip. Gino puts on a great and the food and wine are great. You can email him for reservations. We have been there twice!

I also stayed at Villa Vignamaggio - the grounds are beautiful there. And to Banfi, this is worth a stop just to see the breath of their operations and to try the brunello!

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Where is Castello Verrazanno? What region? It sounds great.

Thank you.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Castello di Verrazzano is in Greve.

www.verrazzano.com

My husband and I have booked a tour with lunch for our trip in September and we are really looking forward to it! I had emailed them and I got a reply back within a day or so.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I'm definitely emailing them. We're staying in Gaiole which is quite close to Greve.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.... can anyone recommend a specific vineyard in Montepulciano? I'm thinking of visiting Castello Banfi in Montalcino and need a suggestion for either a vineyard or activity in Montepulciano.

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:05 AM

When we were in Montepulciano there was a local festival going on so we never made it to one of the wineries to visit, however, one of the local places we stopped and had lunch and spoke with the owners suggested "Dei" winery to visit.
You will love Castello Verrazzano, plan to spend most of the day there. Both times we went, my husband and I ended up enjoying talking with the others we had lunch with after all was done. Different people ended up purchasing bottles for the group to share together out on the veranda after some of others had gone home.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:15 AM

We just returned from 10 days in Florence. Two of the days were spent going out into the Chianti region. We went to at least 6 wineries. Our friends who had the car must to have gone to 5-6 more. We never needed a reservation. We had the 'Touring in Wine Country...Tuscany' book by Maureen Ashley. Mitchell Beazley's name is on the front also. It is part of a series called 'Touring in Wine Country'. We used it as a guide and found it extremely useful. We also used the book, 'The Italian Wine Guide...The Definitive Guide to Touring, Sourcing and Tasting'. It rates the wineries and was the most fun to use because we'd drive by a winery, check the book and determine whether we wanted to stop by the number of quality appraisal symbols.

Everyone was very nice and we have some great memories of just popping in and tasting along the way. We loved Riseccoli which is right out of Greve. The gentleman who showed us around is French...and as he put it, the CEO. He married into the family. He was a kick! (He also has a couple of Villas that are rentable, if I remember correctly.)

The enoteca in Greve was a hit with my husband and friend. It has over 100 kinds of wines to taste. You buy a card that is preloaded with any amount of money. You then walk around and use the card to purchase tastes of the wines. It was quite amazing.

One place we stopped had a little old gentleman who didn't speak a word of English. He took us into a shed that had virtually no light. It was loaded, though, with wines and they were very good. We purchased a few bottles.

I supposed you'd need reservations to tour or eat at some of the bigger wineries, but we never had a problem and were welcomed at all that we stopped at.

I'd encourage you to just drive around and stop in at the wineries that you find along the road.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that you always needed reservations in advance. I like the idea of just driving around and just happening upon different places. I am definitely trying Verrazzano.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Jenny, there is a wealth of wineries within :30 of Gaiole that your hotel can tell you more about. I do not think you will need reservations. As for Castello Banfi, it is about a 2 hour drive from Gaiole. You are in Chianti--I would stay there for your wine tours.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. You definitely seem like the expert. We are interested in visiting Montalcino and/or Montepulciano and tasting some wines. Should we just drive down there one day without reservations.... or are you suggesting to skip the area altogether and just stay local?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM

We have heard great things about the Castello di Brolio, which is, I believe, near Gaiole and is very historic; I gather Chianti wine began there. We are going right around September 1; if we get back before you I will post to confirm. Write to Simona Brandini, Enoteca del Castello di Brolio, [email protected]. There is a lovely website but I am having problems with my computer at the moment and don't seem to be able to open another window to find the URL. Just do a search on "Castello di Brolio."
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Problem solved. Here's the website: http://www.ricasoli.it/
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:34 PM

I rented a villa with friends in southern Tuscany last month and made reservations ahead of time at the Cantina del Redi in Montepulciano. I had been there before and thought it was very interesting. Having reservations meant that we had an English speaking guide and wine tasting at the end. My friends enjoyed it very much.

I would recommend the Cantina del Redi.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM

You want to see both if you can--just not for a winery visit. Both of the Mont. towns have many enotecas to taste and buy wines--hard to miss. I like the enoteca in the fortezza in Montalcino. But, do not confuse winery tours with wine tastings. I would do the winery thing close to home in Chianti country. Look at a good map to get the perspective. Badia Coltibuono just outside Gaiole is a good choice as are the others mentioned above.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. I think our plan will be to take a tour/tasting at Castello di Verrazzano in Greve-- which is quite close to us. Will probably visit Badia Coltibuono and Castello di Brolio as well for tastings/lunch-- not a tour. Then we'll just drive to Montalcino/Montepulciano without reservations and just see where we wind up.
Thank you.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:23 AM

We signed up in Montepulciano at the Tourist Office for a very small weekly winery tour that visited two small wineries, not normally open to the public. It was a memorable afternoon. At one tiny winery, we were taken into the vineyard by a fifth generation family member who beamed with pride as he told us about the vines and the development of their wines. Then we went to their home, where we were offered cheese and home made "salami" and tasted wonderful wines. He brought out his 1 year old Grandaughter and showed her off to us. Last week for my partner's birthday we drank our bottle of 1997 Vino Nobile Riserva from there, which won a gold medal. It was amazing.

I've been to dozens of wine tastings and winery tours all over the world. This one was really special!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -