Tuscany Tribulations

Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany Tribulations

Going to Tuscany with son and family. Not sure where exactly, but it will be the first week of July. How hot will it be then? I am allergic to and eat no wheat. How much difficulty will I have with food in that area?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM

You need to know that July is extremely hot throughout Tuscany. Depending on your location, the environment can be humid or dry, which can make a difference. Churches make good refuges; thick stone walls keep interiors very cool.

I am guessing you have Celiac disease (allergic to wheat). Europeans are quite savvy about Celiac disease. Some markets offer special food sections and restauranteurs know and understand. Menus abound with fresh vegetables and meats. My friend, who has Celiac, goes to Italy for 4 or 5 weeks every summer and has no difficulties finding things to eat.
Carol L
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Atually, I get severe hives, not intestinga issues. Just worried about all the pasta.And relaying my needs through the language barrier.
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi M,

Try entering <celiac> and <allergies> in the "search this forum" box.

There are some threads giving Italian phrases for what can't be eaten.

Old May 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Hi maribethp

My husband is Coeliac, we've been to Italy a few times and never had any bother, you can purchase the bread and biscuits in the Pharmacy, and in most supermarkets you can buy, other GF goods. My Husband took his own bread down to breakfast each morning and the hotel were very understanding, there was absolutely no fuss and they were very kind to him, offering him extra fruit and other things! There is site I used to get Italian translations for the GF diet and what it entails, we just handed this to the waiter in all restaurants, that way there was no confusion about sauces, and all of them without exception were very understanding and very well informed about Coeliac Disease.

Here is the website. Good luck on your trip to Italy. The people are a joy, and its a beautiful country.

http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

That was a very helpful reply. I hate humidity, but this is the only week my military son has free to travel all summer- first week of July. I am a bit discouraged about the trip by all the weather warnings here.