Reload this Page >

Tuscany Travel: self-catering in Chianti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Libbie

Hello, <BR>Can anyone recommend a good self-catering apartment or cottage, or a good service representing same, for the Chianti area? <BR> <BR>I thought I had one from someone calling herself "Tuscany Travel" but when I saw her contract I backed out fast! Has anyone had experience with that firm? <BR> <BR>We plan to be in Tuscany/Florence next year, March 18 - April 1. Easter is March 31. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help, <BR>Libbie

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:42 AM
erica

Do a search - I've seen more that 80 agencies with rentals in Tuscany. Try tuscanhouse.com rentvillas.com. italianvillas.com and on and on. Iused stagionidelchianti.com last time

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Ian

I cannot recommend more highly Fattoria Pagnana ( www.fattoria-pagnana.com ). I have stayed there many times both for pleasure and when visiting Florence on business (lucky me !!) and the place gets better every time I visit due to the continual improvements they make. In my many visits I have never met an unhappy guest.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:20 AM
fran

Libbie, <BR>I'm curious...what was it in the contract that made you balk?

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Jean

Libbie, <BR> <BR>Check out the Slow Traveler's website at www.slowtrav.com. They have reviews on several agencies and rentals in that area. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 11:00 AM
coco

Hi Libbie, <BR>I am curious, also, about what was in the contract? Thx

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Libbie

Hi, and thanks for your replies. Two of you asked what spooked me about the agency I was planning to use. <BR> <BR>They require a 100% deposit (for 2 weeks rent) and their cancellation policy is: <BR>[Cancel] More than 60 days before arrival at the House : 50% [not refunded] <BR>From 59 until 45 days before arrival at the House : 75% [not refunded] <BR>Within 44 days of arrival at the House : 100% [not refunded!] Ouch!! <BR> <BR>Since I'm looking for a place for 8 - 9 months from now, that seems a bit too risky for me. <BR> <BR>I'll go check out the websites suggested. Would love to hear from someone who has rented a small apartment for two at a reasonable rate, not too far from Florence. Thanks, <BR> <BR>Libbie <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Diane

We stayed at CastelBigozzi between Florence and Siena, near Monteriggioni for 2 nights in May. They have self-catering apartments, and offer price breaks when you stay for a week (and/or off-season). Try www.chiantiturismo.it We totally enjoyed this place, everything was gorgeous. We had a large room for 200,000 per night with a jacuzzi tub and to die-for view. You are spanning a holiday, but you may want to see what they'll do for you. Many of the small family-run places will have stringent deposit/refund rules since with only 5 or 6 apartments they need to rent them and not end up thinking they are booked only to have people pull out at the last minute. At the same time, it differs place to place, sometimes based on their experience. Good luck!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Pauline

Vacation rental contracts typically ask you to pay 30-50% on booking with full payment made 60 days before the rental with no refund for cancelling. This is the risk with vacation rentals - you cannot cancel at the last minute at get your money back. But there are many benefits! <BR> <BR>I have many reviews of vacation rentals near Florence on my personal web site - www.slowtrav.com <BR> <BR>Expect to pay from $500-$700 per week for an apartment for two. <BR> <BR>Everyone, please send me your reviews of vacation rentals you liked!! We have over 75 for Italy now - but want more!!