Reload this Page >

Tuscany next July

Search

Tuscany next July

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 11:14 AM
Steven Bird

Tuscany next July

My wife and two teenage daughters (16 & 13) are beginning to plan a trip next July to Tuscany. The general dream is to stay in a villa or castle (Enchanted April view) for two weeks in the Florence area and use that as a base. Any suggestions where to stay? Probably will rent a car but what about trains?

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 01:42 PM
MicheleC

My husband and I just came back from Italy and we loved it. We stayed in Tuscany, more specifically in Florence for a few days and then in Greve in Chianti at a villa where the woman who sat for the Mona Lisa was born. It was called Villa Vignamaggio (website www.villavignamaggio.com) and it was fantastic. The villa is a working vineyard that also produces olive oil and grappa. It has 2 pools, tennis courts, and in one word FANTASTIC. They have different types of accommodations. Renting a car is a must - but you have to leave Florence. We rented the car through Auto Europe (www.autoeurope.com) and it was great. Everything is included in the price all up front in US $ and the ease of picking up and returning the car was great. The Villa is about a 45 minute drive from Florence. We used it as a base to explore the Tuscany region. We went to Siena for the day (about 45 min - 1 hr) and then San Gimignano for dinner (a must after the tour buses - night was beautiful). The next day we covered Pisa, Lucca, Montecatini and Montelupo. I thought our location was great and our vacation was more than I ever thought it would be. Have fun !!!!

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Mary

Steve, <BR>I would agree with the person's message above. My husband & I stayed in Tuscany & Florence this past July - It was fabulous - Tuscany was SO peaceful yet many things to do. WE stayed at the Villa Rosa in Panzano which is next to Greve. It is within driving distance to all major sites ie., Siena, Sam Gimignano, even Firenze - I wanted to stay a night or two in Florence b/c I love it so but you can make day trips from Panzano or Greve if you wanted to. I would be happy to share any info w/you. Italy is fabulous, especially in July!! <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 02:41 PM
Miane

Check out: <BR>www.rentvillas.com <BR>A great company with a website representing a lot of wonderful properties in Italy/Tuscany. Very well organized and the people there are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They've been in the business for years.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Sandra

The view in "Enchanted April" is of the Tuscan coast. There are some wonderful villas for rent in that area. My recommendation for a rental agent is Homebase Abroad, Ltd. &lt;http://www.homebase-abroad.com/ <BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 04:36 AM
elaine

I had read that the view in "Enchanted April" was of Portofino, if that was accurate.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 12:58 PM
nancy

Haven't stayed up that way, and won't be on our trip, but the Parker Company has a great book that they send out for free.Many places in Tuscany <BR>I call it my "wish Book",( kind of like the Sears book for Christmas) <BR>They also have a website. <BR>www.theparkercompany.com <BR>ph# 800.280.2811 <BR>nancy

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 09:57 AM
Steven Bird

Thank you everyone. It looks like we will be at the Villa V. so hope that goes throough. I was wondering where the Enchanted April site was! I guess I'll dig a bit and see if I can find the site. Again thanks. As things firm up I will have more questions!

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 04:11 PM
steve bird

Enchanted april is in Portofino..St George fortress now known as Castello Brown

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 11:44 AM
traveler

We rented a wonderful villa about 10 minutes outside of Siena last year from Homebase Abroad. It was a first class accommodation (I wish I lived in a home that nice!) with a beautiful pool and amazing views. The stars at night were unbelievable. Easy trip into Siena and access to the highway to Florence. A car is a necessity but you can easily catch a train from Siena to Florence, Florence to parts beyond, if you don't want to drive long distance. Trains are easy and the kids love them. Search on villas in italy and you'll hit a million options. Homebase Abroad was very good with everything except the directions to the house . . . but we eventually found it. We had 6 kids with us and they all dream of our return next summer.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 01:53 AM
ClaudiaMaria

Hello Steven, you can find all information to plan your trip to Tuscany at this site <BR>http://www.edreams.com/edreams/engli...IDEID=75800076 <BR>You can also contact a guide if you have any questions. I have planned a great trip with him. Hopefully this can help. <BR>ClaudiaMaria