Search

Tuscany Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany Itinerary

Hello fellow travelers -

We will be honeymooning in France and Italy for three weeks this fall (Oct 5-24, including two travel days). Below is our itinerary as it currently stands... flights and hotels have all been purchased. Looking for some itinerary advice, specifically for the Tuscany potion of the trip. More than anything, I am trying to not over plan the trip (I may have this this before on one or two occasions...)

Oct 5: US to Paris

Oct 6 - 11: Paris (First time, I'll leave these questions for another post)

Oct 12 - 14: Florence (2nd Visit)

On the 12th, an early flight from Paris to Florence landing 9:30am. Counting this day, we have 3 full days in Florence. We have been to Florence before (for 4 days several years ago). Other than a few big things we missed on the first go around (Pitti Palace, Boboli Gardens, top of the Duomo, Leather Market) we don't have anything planned. We have already done the Uffizi, Academia, Bargello, Piazza Michelangelo). Suggestions welcome! We will be staying at J.K. Place.

Oct 15 - 22: Tuscany (First Time)
We are renting a car from Florence on the morning of the 15th, returning in Rome on the evening of the 22nd. We are staying at Hotelito Lupaia (about a 20 minute drive from Pienza, Montepulciano) for the full week. Here is my first stab at a plan:

15th: Pick up car in Florence, stop in Greve for the lunch/the afternoon, continue on to hotel (about 3 hrs driving total)

16th: Siena for the day (about 2 hours driving total, or we could park in Pienza (20 minute drive) and take the train to/from Siena... perhaps this would be a better choice?)

17th: Montalcino in the morning, winery in the afternoon, maybe Gattavecchi, the cellar sounds really neat (about 2 hrs total)

18th: Relax in the morning, Montepulciano in the afternoon/evening? I have read that Sunday are very slow and many places are not open, perhaps we should plan on staying at our hotel this day and just resting, eating at the hotel restaurant?

19th: No plans yet....

20th: Thermal baths in the morning/early afternoon; Pienza later in the day (about 2 hours driving)

21st : No plans yet....

22nd: We want to make the most of our drive to Rome; we thought perhaps leaving early then stopping in Orvieto a couple hours. Or perhaps Civiti would be better? Assuming both is too ambitious. Need to be in Rome by 5pm

23rd: Full day in Rome (2nd Visit)

Really just want to hit a couple of our favorite restaurants from our last trip, and end the trip well. Will be staying near Piazza Navona.

24th: Flight to US 11:15 AM

Never having been to Tuscany before, or done any sort of trip that incorporated a lot of driving, I would love some advice from those who have gone before me. Any major misses or errors in this itinerary? I would love to see Volterra and San Gimignano but they both seem too far away from our home base and perhaps better suited for a future trip? Cortona is about 60 minutes from our hotel, is that worth incorporating? Any recommendations on a cooking class that would fit well into this week? Wineries that you visited and loved? Restaurants that cannot be missed?

Truly appreciate your review and comments.

Tera
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 07:09 PM

You are going to love the Tuscan countryside. You are pretty close to Montipulciano. Il Covo is a very good family-owned restaurant on the main road outside of town. Also, if visiting Monticchiello around lunchtime, try the Taverna di Moranda.

You could dump the car in Orvieto , store your luggage at the Hotel Picchio [for a fee], visit the town, then take the train to Rome [1:10 I believe].
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 07:20 PM

By the way, there is no train station in Pienza.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 07:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>16th: Siena for the day (about 2 hours driving total, or we could park in Pienza (20 minute drive) and take the train to/from Siena.<<<

No, you can't park in Pienza and take the train as there is no train in Pienza. I would drive to Siena, but if you wanted to take the train, the closest place from your hotel appears to be Torrita di Siena or Montepulciano Stazione (not to be confused with Montepulciano as they are miles apart). You would need to find somewhere to buy tickets as there isn't much at these locations. Sinalunga might be another option to catch the train. If you were actually starting in Pienza, then perhaps Buonconvento, but I think it would take less time to drive to Siena than any of those options.

Is this hotel on a paved road? From their website, it appears they are on a white road. It will take a bit of time coming and going if that's the case.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In Florence, depending on your interests, consider seeing the Baptistery, Santa Croce Basilica, Medici Chapels, Brancacci Chapel, spending a few hours in Fiesole.

If you wanted to drive the more interesting road from Florence to Greve to your hotel (SR222, rather than shifting to the A1 after Greve), the overall drive time that day will be closer to 4 hours.

http://www.chianti-italy.com/chiantigiana.htm

The same applies to the drive from your hotel to Orvieto/Civita to Rome. Driving scenic SR2 most of the way will take about 5+ hours (not counting stops) but only 3-3.5 if you stick to highways.

If you drive to Siena, do some research about where to park without driving into the ZTL.

Double-check the suggestion of dropping the car in Orvieto. AFAIK, Hertz is now the only rental company with an office in the town.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 09:11 PM

Driving:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1....In.Italy.html

Need to get an International Driving Permit.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 10:46 PM

Not to rain on your parade but October can be one of the rainiest months in Italy, including the valleys of Tuscany, so while I think you've plenty of time to see all the things you want to see in a relaxed way, you should take your "calendar" as merely an outline, and be prepared to switch things around if you encounter a day or two of downpours.

It's just a personal quirk, but I like to emphasize here that no one knows if you will "love" anything in Italy. I was disappointed in the Tuscan countryside after all the hype, having seen so many other beautiful places in Italy that more suit my style. But many, many people DO love the Tuscan countryside, which is undeniably lovely, and I certainly hope that's the case for you. But one of the biggest joys of travel is having your own reactions to the new and unfamiliar, good, bad and indifferent, so don't pre-judge the case. Most of all, when you get Tuscany, see how it makes you feel when it comes to how much you want to just slow way down and take walks and enjoy the tranquility, or how much you feel energized to get in that car and head for the sights and more distant views.

Have a great trip!