Tuscany/Florence/Positano/Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Italy next summer (2014) for a family reunion, departing New York City. The trip will be about 17 nights and we are locked in to the first week in Tuscany/Florence. After that my wife and I splinter off on our own. We are planning to stay in two locations: Rome and Positano. But in what order? Which mode of transportation between places? Rented car, train, ferry? (Comfort and ease of connection is important to us.) We have not booked our flights yet, though there is a good chance it may actually be less expensive to fly to Rome and catch a second flight to Florence when we arrive. Any thoughts as to any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Including, which city to fly home from, and where to from Florence - Rome first, or Positano? Again many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:10 PM

We (two couples) are planning the same trip for next summer. Our plan is to fly in to Rome and rent a car to drive to our apartment in Tuscany for a week. We will then turn in the car in Florence and spend two nights there before taking a train to Naples. We will have a driver take us from the train station in Naples to Positano where we will spend four nights. Then have a driver take us back to the Naples train station to catch the fast train to Rome for four nights. We will then take a taxi to FCO for our morning flight back to ATL.

I know there are cheaper options than what we are doing but comfort and ease of transfer is important to us too so I am interested to hear others opinions on this.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:39 PM

Always end the trip where you depart Italy---I assume Rome in this scenario, but it could be Naaples as well.

John, I like your itinerary.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM

We took the exact same trip as John two autumns ago. It worked out beautifully. I agree that ending in your departure city is the best idea. Since you have not booked flights yet, consider flying into Florence and out of Rome (usually called "multicity" on airline web sites). It will save you time and shouldn't be more expensive.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM

A seasonal flight into Pisa from the US was mentioned here fairly recently. That would be a good one for you, I think.

Naples would require a connection to get back to NYC, but you could fly directly from Rome to NY.

If money isn't the bottom line, I would go for direct flights in either direction. So much less stressful.

So yeah, the train from Florence to Naples sounds good, then a driver to Positano. Another option is a train from Florence to Salerno and then a driver to Positano.

Another thought: since you are coming and going, you could arrive in Campania through one of those cities (Naples or Salerno) and leave through the other. Perhaps you might want to see a sight or two in one or the other. For me, Salerno's big attraction is the proximity to Paestum. Otherwise, I guess Naples is the obvious choice.

Certainly a driver back to either city is the easiest way to get to a major train station from Positano.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all this wonderful advice. Plan "B" is to save Positano and the Amalfi coast for another trip and go to one of the resorts an hour out from Rome for 4 nights. I've heard on the forum that Sperlonga is very nice. Any suggestions for a hotel there? Or a different resort? Santa Marinella?
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:02 AM
WWK

We have flown nonstop on DELTA from JFK-Pisa. I'm not sure when that flight starts in the summer, or if it will continue to be available next year.

Since you have ten days, that's plenty of time for the Amalfi Coast. Like the other posters above, I'd suggest you head to Positano first, then Rome, then flight home.

You can take the EUROSTAR from Florence to Naples, then arrange a private transfer for the trip to Positano. The private transfer runs about E120.

When/if you're ready for more info about drivers, hotels for the AC, post again. And if you do decide to go to the AC, it's not too early to reserve. Some of the more reasonably priced/popular hotels get booked up to a year ahead.