Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany and Almalfi coast...how to do both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 03:17 PM
arlene

I've read the postings and I'm completely undecided...Help? <BR> Bottom line is we're trying to plan a trip that includes a couple of days in Rome and then to the Almalfi coast for four or five days and then Tuscany for a week. (or vise-versa) <BR>We've been to Tuscany and know we need a car for that part but what about the rest? Do we Need a car for the Almalfi coast? So many postings have not encouraged driving that area. Maybe a train from Rome to Sorento? Maybe rent a car in Sorrento? I don't know? HELP, HELP, HELP. <BR> I would welcome any suggestions for setting up an itinerary that includes these two regions. <BR>Thanks sooo much. <BR>Arlene

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 03:32 PM
fred

arlene if you are capable of driving in tuscany you are capable of driving in the amalfi costal area. just take your time on the amalfi drive. i might add however do not attempt to drive in naples itself. i have driven all over italy and especially rome which i enjoy but refuse to drive in naples. i feel that having a car in that area gives one much more freedom of mobility and is worth the effort. luck

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 03:33 PM
Kathy

Well, in my opinion you don't want to drive in Rome or the Almalfi coast area. <BR>Rome to me is dangerous in a car, they drive really crazy there. We are leaving March 14 and will take the train everywhere we go. I would consider renting a car for the Tuscany area, as they say that is the only way to truly see it. You could rent a car in Siena or Florence. Hope this helps

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:19 PM
xxx

Has anyone researched where to rent a car on the Amalfi coast? So far I've found the closest Auto Europe outlet in Salerno. Does anyone know of any companies that rent out of Positano or Sorrento? We want to take the train to the coast to avoid driving in/around Naples. <BR> <BR>Any info will be appreciated.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:58 PM
Rex

Arlene, I have driven in all three. Rome is not so hard driving, but it is expensive and hard to find parking. Common sense would say to get a car only as you are leaving Rome. <BR> <BR>You can drive the Amalfi coast, but the driver gets the crummy job - - watch the road instead of the marvelous scenery. Make sure and switch drivers and drive the coast more than once. <BR>