Search

Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 08:48 AM
Dave

Tuscany

We are going to Florence, Lucca and Sienna - anyone have any "must sees" or places to avoid.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 12:33 PM
Grace

Dave, try to visit San Gimignano while you all are in Tuscany. You'll have to park outside the city walls, but once you're inside, you'll feel like you've stepped into another world. It's known for its medieval towers and we found it to be one of the most enjoyable places to walk around, shop for ceramics, and sip capuccino. If you haven't finalized your lodging, try to stay in a villa in the Chianti region. "In Italy" on the web is a good contact for arranging villa stays.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 02:11 PM
Jan

Yes, do try to stay in Chianti (if you have a car). A good website for finding places to stay is: <BR>www.chiantinews.it <BR> <BR>Wonderful restaurant in the country is Lamole situated in a hamlet of the same name. Unforgettable views to say nothing of superb Tuscan cooking. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip!

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 03:43 PM
bruno

Just got back from 2 weeks in Itlay. Tuscan was so great we cut Rome short. stayed in Siena, and did day trips from there. If driving, go to the following: Moteriggione, Montalcino, Montalpuciano, San Gimiano. Voltare is ok too. Drive the Alternate Route instead of the A22 (?) Main Autostrada. This way you can pass through Chianti, and the areas surrounding it. Great driving....Stop at La Villa Miranda's for lunch in Radda in Chianti, great place and very well-known to locals. Also in Siena - eat at Antica Trattoria Papei - we ended up eating their twice in 1 week due to great food, service, and atmosphere, and price..let me know if you need more info

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 05:33 PM
Al

To Bruno I was in Siena A year and a half ago, and I was not impressed. The first evening, my wife and I went to the Campo, and we really enjoyed it. However, the next day it was raining, we went to the Duomo and around the town, and we were not impressed. Did we miss something, or was it the poor weather that made us cut our stay in Siena short and go to Asissi? Please let me know if I'm mistaken when I say that Siena is overrated.

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 05:04 AM
OB

Do not forget Cortina......