Tuscan city suggestions

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscan city suggestions

I will be staying in Gaiole in Chiante for a week in May. I'm planning on doing day trips to Florence (about 30 miles away) and Siena (about 15 miles away). Are there any other cities/towns that are "must see" places that can be done in a day trip. I've already been to Pisa, and don't necessarily have to go there again, I'd like to see places I haven't been to before.

Thanks for any information you can pass on!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:24 AM

San Gimignano is usually high on lists of places to visit, although I would recommend getting there either before 10am or after 4pm once the tour coaches have been - this was advice I got from other posts in this forum and it was quite noticable last year that this was true.

Lucca might also be worth a look, but probably the best thing (in my view) is to rent a car and drive around some of the hill villages in Tuscany.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:34 AM
ira

Hi,

You might want to do a text search here for Montalcino, Montepulciano, Chianti, San Gimignano, Assisi
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:41 AM

Check out Volterra for the Roman ruins and the alabaster.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM

There are many good options but from Gaiole your choices will be limited by driving time. Do you mind a drive radius of 1:30 from there? It will take that to some of the better hill towns.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:38 AM

I Stayed staying in Gaiole last may as well, where are you staying?

We did a lot of driving. We went to Radda for a light meal or two. We tend to pick one or two major places and stop along the way.

I wanted to see the ocean and headed 1st to San Gimignano. It is nice for a few hours and then we headed west towards the sea and never made it but ended up in Volterra. We loved it! Had a great meal walked around the old Roman theatre. It was beautiful.

Siena is close by and great for a trip as well. Initially we stayed in a hotel in Florence first because I did not fancy driving around and then rented a car to go to Gaiole.

There is a good Pizza Place in Gaiole just in front of the town car park that you can sit on the terrace and have your meal. Also a nice visit we had was to the winery on the road to Radda just outside Gaiole. Its an old estate and we had a private tour ....in French as the elderly man on duty did not speak English. It was great craic. It's also hotel, very nice and you get a bottle to take away after the tour. I thought it would be lousey but it was lovely when we opened it a few weeks later in Dublin.

Overall pick a few key places and stop when something looks interesting. Have a nice trip.