Turkish delight...I hope!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to base ourselves in a southern turkish town and do day trips, any thoughts on which would be better out of Marmaris,Fethiye,Bodrum or Kusadasi ??<BR>Day trips for culture and scenic delights.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Hi Marko,<BR><BR>Marmaris is the best solution for your base for Southern Turkey, where you can see many histric and archaelogic places on the shore of Med. BUT I recommend you<BR>While you are using the road on the shore PLEASE BE CAREFUL because some part of road very narrow and dangerous for Foreign. If you want to see the southern of Turkey you may stay in GOKOVA I always stay in this small town because there are not much tourist like Marmaris (If you like quiet place go to GOKOVA)<BR><BR>Sinan Akdeniz<BR>[email protected]
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

I have been told that Kusadasi is a fun spot.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:30 AM

My wife and I toured that area by automobile last June. We found Kusadasi to be a great little beach town with lots of good resturants - also easy to use as a base. Bodrum not much of a town for touring but a fantastic little hotel called the antik teatro (Antique Theater) I think this is right but it has been a while. Sugar cubed rooms with bouganvilla - very nice. I will get the exact name, etc if your interested. $120 per night but well worth it.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Marko,<BR><BR>If you are loking for fun go to BODRUM rather then Kusadasi. You can find thousand of thousand BARS there.<BR>Sinan Akdeniz
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Fun in bars can be a bit difficult with three under 15 years in tow, but thanks for the info !
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

What about Fethiye ?
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:47 PM

I would definitely avoid Kusadasi. It's a cruiseship stop that's crowded and not pretty (relatively that is). It's only advantage is the proximity to Ephesus which is a must. The distance between Kusadasi and Fethiye makes it hard to pick a town in between which will allow you 'day trips' to all the sites. You could start out there and end up in Fethiye.<BR><BR>Bodrum has the most 'atmosphere' of any town on the coast. but it lacks a decent beach and the surrounding nature is on the dry and boring side. It's best for nightlife and shopping.<BR><BR>Marmaris is too big and concrete-laden to be as cute as bodrum but its surroundings are greener and very beautiful and the nearby beach of Icmeler is very scenic with a ton of nice hotel-resorts.<BR><BR>Fethiye area is by for the prettiest on the coast (IMHO). The region from Gocek to Olympos including Fethiye and Kas have great beaches, amazing nature, quieter and cheaper towns. Town of Fethiye is not attractive or touristy, but the surrounding bays are great.<BR><BR>Kas is my favorite of them all. Small place perched on steep hillside. A few tiny beaches in town but some awesome bays that are less than 1 hour away by car or boat.<BR><BR>Here are some driving times. Roads are well maintained albeit twisty with lots of unprotected drop-offs.<BR><BR>Kusadasi/Ephesus to Bordrum is about 3 1/2 hours.<BR>Bodrum to Marmaris is 3 hours.<BR>Marmaris to Fethiye is 2 1/2 hours.<BR>Fethiye to Kas is 2 hours.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:04 AM

I liked the Fethiye area. The old part of the town (market, I guess) is interesting and we also enjoyed our 'hammam experience' in Fethiye. It's close to Olu Deniz, which was fun for a day or so. We loved Kalkan - I thought it was prettier than Kas - quite charming.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like there are difficulties involved with a single base point, so may have to split the week into two !<BR>Any suggestions for best two spots?
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:08 PM

Splitting into two is a good idea.

I'd suggest Kusadasi and Fethiye/Gocek

Kusadasi is kind of touristy, with lots of cruise ships &amp; cruise ships passengers. But it is near Ephesus, which should be number one on your itinerary for all of Turkey. It is just amazing.

Marmaris is very touristy and I would avoid it.

Fethiye is much more relaxed, and there are lots of sights and day trip opportunities in the area. I prefer Gocek, which is near Fethiye but much smaller and cuter. But Fethiye is also nice, and has more in the way of restaurants, bars, a hamam, etc.

A good itinerary would be to fly into Izmir, go to Kusadasi/Ephesus, drive or bus to Fethiye/Gocek, and then fly out of Dalaman.

If you are driving you could break up the trip from Kusadasi to Fethiye with a day in Bodrum.

Good luck &amp; have fun.

Old May 8th, 2003, 02:46 PM

I was in Turkey last September and at that time Kusadasi was nearly a ghost town. Cruise ships were not stopping there anymore. Think I'd check it out pretty thoroughly before making hotel reservations.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:03 PM

we have been to the south west of turkey twice and both times we stayed at bodrum...it is small and quite nice and set up for tourists....marmaris and the others are close by and also nice