Turkish Airlines?

Search

Turkish Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkish Airlines?

Has anyone had any good, bad, or otherwise experiences with Turkish Airlines? I'm trying to get from Istanbul to London and British Air is full. I read a blog that said Turkish Airline is horrible. Any comments?
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have only flown with them on European flights, but I have never had a problem with them. They seem just like any other European airline on those routes. I suspect that their food might be more interesting on the long haul flights.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM

it is a high quality airlines. i am sure that you wont have any problem about that company.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You get much better service flying economy on THY than many other European airlines. The business class is about the same as others. There is no in-between class as in BA. Usually ample food and drinks.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Don't worry. Turkish is fine. Have flown them twice from Chicago-Istanbul. Newer aircraft, too.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM

We flew TA between Istanbul and Izmir a few years ago. Although it was a short flight it was very comfortable and pleasant. I think you'll be fine.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I think the service on Turkish Airlines is very good.

Have flown from JFK to Istanbul on TA.

Thin
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Other than a lost bag, which can happen to any airline, we loved THY.

Cheers, the turnip
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for putting my mind at ease! I'll book with them.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I thought Turkish Air was fine. In August, I flew JFK to IST, then IST to ASR (Kayseri), then the reverse in early September. The bulkheads are reserved for parents with infants, since it has the bassinet setup. There was decent pitch between the seats, and the width was fine as well. Food was okay; service was better outbound than on the return. The personal video system left a bit to be desired. It was even worse on the return flight, when although it was seven days into the next month, they were still showing the previous month’s movies, despite the updated entertainment guide provided. I really can’t complain too much--for economy class, the flights went surprisingly well. I think that we reserved seats about 100 days prior to departure for international flights. We were never able to reserve seats for our domestic flights, even though the website said that we could beginning at 7 days prior. We were able to use online check-in for all flights to confirm seats but not print boarding passes; we got our domestic seat assignments during the online check-in process. You can request Star Alliance (e.g., United, US Airways) miles for your Turkish Air flight--just choose your airline program when checking in online. We called the New York offices of Turkish Air several times for various reasons--finding someone English-speaking was not easy, but the flight attendants all spoke some English.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
ss

Just flew them 2 days ago and more while in Turkey. Their service is AMAZING! You are practically still ascending and they begin a very nice food service - unlike the lack of food service we get in the U.S. and it's free (though I don't think they serve liquor). The planes are big and comfortable. Flew them from Istanbul to Kayseri RT. We were to have flown Lufthansa from IST To FRA, but they that leg was flown (substituted)by Turkish Airways, it was excellent. They were on time and their turn arounds are fast and they use 2 doors to enter and exit - I really liked that! I recommend them!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM

TA was great. The planes are a bit more worn than we Americans are used to but the service made up for it grandly! We also went from Istanbul to London (maybe as far as Chicago?) a couple of years ago.