Turkey with a toddler?

Search

Turkey with a toddler?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey with a toddler?

Hi -- We'll be in Israel for three months this spring/summer and are planning a side trip to Turkey in mid-June. We have about a week, and we have a daughter who will be 18 months old. Questions:
-- are we crazy to attempt Istanbul?
-- or/and: any recommendations for an ideal spot on either coast: not overdeveloped, on beach but close to ruins/history and charming town(s)?
-- should we skip Istanbul and go straight to the coast, or attempt the advanced move of a couple of days in Istanbul PLUS an internal flight to ... where?

I know the culture is family-friendly, and our daughter is generally chill; it's the logistics that we find daunting. On the one hand, I'm dying to see Istanbul. but on the other, I'm craving one nice simple easy-to-reach home base from which we can easily travel (by rented car?) to other wonderful places.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you! lynn

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
BKP

I'm sorry I can't help you with any information! I would like to hear the answers that you do get so I'll top this for you and we can both cross our fingers!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 06:06 AM

There are so many who travels to Turkey with a toddler.
June is still a good month weathervise. July and August would be to harsh for a small child especially at coastal areas.

Kas or Kalkan can be a good choice to travel around and still enjoy beaches.

Istanbul will be fine as well but do not even think about hiring car and drive in Istanbul. Other places are just fine.

Some companies also offer a child seat free of charge when you hire a car.

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM

If you are staying in the old area of Istanbul it is not stroller friendly. Most of the streets and sidewalks are cobble stone and would be a very bumpy ride, also the traffic is very agressive, pedestrians beware. The main area at Topkapi and Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque are more pedestrian friendly, but you do have to watch out for the taxis.

While I don't know if your daughter would enjoy the churches, she would probably enjoy the palace. They have good sized gardens where she would be able to walk and touch things.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I'd go here

http://www.hillside.com.tr/HillsideBeachClub/

in fact I'm planning a trip there for later this year.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 01:16 AM

or/and: any recommendations for an ideal spot on either coast: not overdeveloped, on beach but close to ruins/history and charming town(s)?

If you are beach desitination I would then certainly check out the small village of Cirali located 80kms southwest from Antalya as it is a great spot for a familes. Perfect secluded 3.5 kms beach, wonderful natural scenery, the historical ruins of Olympos, and the mystical flames of the Chimaera.

Protected by the WWF for the preservation of the loggerhead sea turtles, Cirali is one of the last remaining villages on the med. coast that has not been taken over by mass tourism.

Cirali only has a few quiet bars playing turkish folk music and restaurants on the beach and in the village center. No discos, or big hotels just nice liitle family run hotels and pansiyons.

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your responses!