Turkey trips from Rhodes

Search

Turkey trips from Rhodes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey trips from Rhodes

What day trips from Rhodes to Turkey are recommended? We will be going to Simi for 3 nights and thought of taking a trip to Turkey from there. We could do trips from Rhodes also. What is the best place for a day trip? And what is there to do when we get there? What is the latest information about visas in Turkey.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:25 PM

From Rhodes I suggest a daytrip to Bodrum. The Castle is fantastic. You can also catch a 1/2 hour minibus ride to the nearby fishing village of Gumusluk if you decide you want to see something besides Bodrum.

If you plan to stay more than for the daytrip, you'll have to pay for a regular tourist visa (automatic upon entry if you're from the USA), which normally costs the same that your home country charges Turks for entry. I think right now it's $15 or $20 USD. A while back it was up to $100, but that was discontinued.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, and has anyone been to Marmaris?
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Its been awhile, but Marmaris was lovely. Three of us (me/2 women) hopped the ferry, met a fun bunch of Scandinavian tourists who introduced us to their tour leader who then directed us to their hotel. The hotel was nice with a great staff who spoke no English. At that time we were the only American tourists in town! What a hoot. Within minutes of stopping at the first store in the shopping district every shopkeeper in Marmaris knew our names. Surprisingly there was no pressure to buy, though we did. We had a ball. Took a day trip by boat to Caunos. Magnificent. This was in the late 80s when the exchange rate was "only" 1,000 lira to the dollar... I've been back to Rhodes many times since then, but never back to Marmaris.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I also went to Marmaris in the late-1980s and it was a building site, with new hotels, etc, being built everywhere. These Turkish coastal towns are now major package tour resorts. It still makes an interesting change from Greece, but don't imagine you'll go somewhere picturesque or unspoilt.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:46 AM

if you could allow yourself more than a day you could also travel to Ephesus.
If you are able to strech a bit you would enjoy both countries better.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:59 AM

The most obvious day trip from Rhodes to Turkey is Marmaris. The boat trip was not long, I have done that twice to the other direction (staying near Marmaris, daytrips to Rhodes). And yes, Marmaris is a major tourist place, but so is Bodrum. But it is different from Rhodes, and gives a little Turkish twist to your holiday. And if you want to do some shopping, Marmaris is way cheaper than Rhodes.