Turkey - The Bodrum Peninsular

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After returning from a 5 week adventure in Nepal on 23 April, me and the cook decided we needed a relaxing break sooner rather than later. I was browsing another forum 3 weeks ago, and a seed was immediately sown when I saw that someone had booked an excellent last minute deal to the Aegean coast of Turkey.

Within an hour of the seed being sown I'd booked the holiday, and got my Turkish e-visa (@ US$20 each). Cost of the holiday = return flights from Gatwick , transfers, self-catering apartment for 10 nights was a steal @ £158 each.

Got back a couple of days ago from our cheapie self-catering package to Gumbet, booked with Thomson. The Bodrum Peninsula is outstandingly scenic, very clean, has a comprehensive public transport system, and is very easy to get out for day trips without the need for expensive excursions.

A few things to share...

- GETTING FROM BODRUM AIRPORT. Nowhere on the Bodrum Peninsula should be more than an hour away from the airport. The roads are perfect, and the traffic light. We had a coach transfer with Thomson, which took 35 minutes to our aparthotel in Gumbet.

- EXCHANGE RATE. The best rate we got during our stay was £ = TR3.45, € = TR2.80, US$ = TR2.00.

- THE TEMPERATURE. Steadily increasing, and was 30c for the last couple of days.

- GUMBET. We just used Gumbet only as a base. We only used the beach area to enjoy alfresco breakfasts at the many reasonably priced beach restaurants. Apart from that we stayed clear of the Gumbet tourist area.

- BODRUM. Bodrum town covers quite a large area. It's a working town as well as a tourist resort. It has plenty of places to capture your attention like the imposing 15th Century Castle, the Ampitheatre, the Tomb of Mausolos, the Maritime Museum, the Ottoman Tower, Myndos Gate, Flour windmills scattered around, a lovely marina, and lots more.

- GETTING AROUND. Bodrum is the hub for the area. The bus station (Otogar) is in the town centre, and is used by the long distance buses and also the local dolmus (minibus). The dolmus are frequent, safe and efficient. There are routes covering all of the Bodrum Peninsular.

- WHERE DID WE GO FOR TRIPS OUT? We don't do organised excursions. And as the dolmus are so efficient we used them all the time. Some examples of places to go and fare (all single tickets)...

Gumbet to Bodrum - TL3.

Bodrum to Bizet - TL3.5 Bizet is mainly beach based.

Bodrum to Turgutreis - TL5. Turgutreis is a smaller version of Bodrum, but worth a run out.

Bodrum to Gulluk - 8TL. Gulluck is close to Bodrum airport. It's an unspoilt fishing port, and is picture postcard perfect. Hardly any tourists.

Bodrum to Yalikavak - 5TL. Wonderful place, with a brand new marina, and some seriously expensive boats moored alongside. Also a traditional part of town. It's a must-see.

Bodrum to Golturkbuku - TL5. An upmarket beach resort.

- EATING. As we were self-catering we had the opportunity to eat where we wanted, what we wanted, and when we wanted. We hardly ate at the same place twice, and enjoyed everything that passed our lips, including lots of Efes. eating where the locals eat is usually better value, and if a place is busy then you know the food will be good.

- WILL WE RETURN? Turkey is a big country and everywhere is different and has it's own appeal. It was our 6th trip since 2009. Have stayed in Istanbul, Ankara, Cappadocia, Antalya, Side, Fethiye, and Icmeler. We'll be back asap, don't know where, but wherever it is we know we'll be made very welcome.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lancaster lad, glad to have you and your trip report here on Fodor's. I do not know if you still write on TA but I am sure you will be appreciated here even if readers do not always openly share their enthusiasm.

Your perspective is rather different than that of the typical Fodor's poster and hence more than welcome.

Just one clarification for the new planner for a Turkish vacation, `Efes` is the most popular brand of Turkish beer, easy to get addicted.
Old May 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for sharing your trip to a lesser visited area, at least by most Americans. We had to cancel stays in Yalikavak and Fethiye last fall and hope to rebook soon.
Old May 28th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

@otherchelebi<<<Lancaster lad, glad to have you and your trip report here on Fodor's. I do not know if you still write on TA but I am sure you will be appreciated here even if readers do not always openly share their enthusiasm.>>>

Thanks. You can call me LL! I'm afraid me and TA have parted company, I see things and report them as they are, Good, Bad, or Ugly. Unfortunately, on TA in particular, it's easy to rub certain DE's up, and the axe falls on you!
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

@HappyTrvir<<<Thanks for sharing your trip to a lesser visited area, at least by most Americans. We had to cancel stays in Yalikavak and Fethiye last fall and hope to rebook soon.>>>

You won't regret staying in either area, both offer outstanding scenery in all directions.
But because the Bodrum Peninsular is enclosed by bays, coves, inlets, Marinas, and are easily accessible by public transport (dolmus) then that (for us) tipped the balance.
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
LL, there are no DEs here. If you remember, I left TA last september, withdrawing all my reviews possibly for similar reasons. It is more like the the axe falling on TA and not you, isn't it?

You can use irony and even some sarcasm as long as you do not offend anyone. As far as i know, except for a few possibly kind hearted grouches people have gotten accustomed to, there are no mean people on these forums who have managed to stay on.

I know that your reports and information on TA have been very useful to many visitors and I believe that they will continue to do just that here.
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

otherchelebi, thanks.

I was really impressed how easy it was to get from Bodrum otogar to any point on the Peninsular.

I was half expecting (but not hoping) that the minor roads leading to all the small resorts and towns would be a bit like the narrow roads you always have to endure in Devon or Cornwall. But the roads on the Peninsular are all plenty wide enough for 2-way traffic, and the views leading down to most of the dolmus destinations are wow!

The longest trip by dolmus was to Gulluk, and only took 40 minutes.

Nice 30 minute walk between Bodrum and Gumbet too, over the hill where the disused flour windmills are. Great expansive views from up there.

Favourite lunch was buying a simit and a banana from a mini-market, and making a banana simit buttie, then sit on a small jetty, socks off and dunk our feet in the warm Aegean Sea. Cost less than TL2 per head! Here's what a simit looks like...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...w=1024&bih=653