Turkey

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Holly

Turkey

Looking for info from anyone who has been to Turkey and/or Greece. I am set to take a solo trip to Thailand for 3 weeks in Feb and March, but considering changing to Greece and Turkey instead, in which case I would go May 1. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks-

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Patrick

Holly, give us a few ideas about what you like to do. Lie on the beach for days? Party at night? Trek through architectural and historic ruins? Take a several day cruise on a small Turkish gulet? Stay in hostels? Meet up with other people or do it all alone?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:12 AM
turk

Agree that, without criteria, it's hard to say.

However, I can say that Instanbul is a fascinating city -- a mix of Arab-Asian culture. But don't go for the food!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Ariel

Holly - May is a great time to visit - the weather will be very nice and the crowds are not as bad (as say August). My reco would be to fly to Istanbul and then travel down the coast, i.e. to Ehpes, then to the Bodrum area (considered much too touristy by many, which is true, but a great seaside town/city all the same and a good base to see smaller towns in the area), you can go along to Antalya and then either up to Capadoccia (spelling!) or back to Istanbul.

I do agree with the other posters, more info please - including budget. Also do a search on Turkey on the Europe forum - lots of people have posted both routes and tons of advice.

I go to Turkey every year to see my hubby's family, never been to Thailand (but hopefully 1 day!). I love Turkey, so I would recommend it as a place to visit. Also you should be able to find a previous thread talking about solo women travelers and safety.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 03:55 PM
M & J

Hi, Holly. We thoroughly enjoyed our travels to Turkey. We have a write up for the first time visitor to Istanbul. If you want a copy, let us know. There is, however a "charge." You have to share your trip with us after your return.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Patrick

Hey, Holly, it's now been five days since you posted. Are you checking back here to see some answers? If so, why haven't you added some additional information. I'd hate to think that if we had all been taking time to write long, helpful answers you wouldn't have even come back here to find them. We want to help, but don't know how. Or have you changed your mind back to Thailand?

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:54 PM
phillipa

[m&j][email protected]
PLanning a trip for next year from NZ and woould love to read yopur notes.MAny thanks