Search

Turin, Bologna and Naples

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turin, Bologna and Naples

Hi everybody,

I'm planning my next trip to Italy. I've decided to visit these three cities to experience something different from the usual Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.

My problem? I have a bookguide with wonderful information about landmarks and daytrips, but I don't know how long to stay in each city or "should not miss" daytrips. I have 15 days to spend in Italy.

I love eating, shopping, visiting churches and enjoying the atmosphere of a city. I used to be a fan of museums, but not anymore. I think it's impossible to enjoy art in a room full of people with dim lights and sometimes a piece of glass covering the painting/sculpture. Sometimes, you enjoy it better from a book.

I got wonderful comments and opinions about Turin from a message I posted a couple of weeks ago. I know that many people hate Naples, but I want to visit it anyway.

Any recommendation on decent, inexpensive hotels?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Pausanias

I don't think many people hate Naples. I think many people are afraid to go -- but you need not concern yourself with such timid souls. They don't matter.

Naples is easily worth four or five days if you have an interest in Roman history. In addition to Pompeii and Herculaneum you have Vesuvius, Baia, Stabiae, Lago Averno and Capri available for day trips. You say you don't enjoy museums, but make an exception for the archaeology museum in Naples, which adds immeasurably to your understanding of the ruins of the area.

Alas, I limit myself to commenting on places of which I have first hand knowledge, and so have nothing to offer on Turin (cars, motorcycles and shotguns!) or Bologna (food, and near Ravenna). But I am so glad to see someone interested in *something* other than the big three, I wish I could.

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM

We saw everything we wanted in Bologna in an afternoon and full day. Definately take the hike up to San Luca if you're physically capable. While in the area you HAVE to take a day trip to Ravenna, the mosaics are incredible.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Do Caserta as a day trip from Naples, just north, and the most amazing Royal Palace and Gardens. It's said to rival Versailles. And the 3 km waterfall is beyond description.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM

It sounds like you want to only stay in the three cities you mentioned - is that the case? There are many places to visit around Bologna, many of which can be reached by public transportation, but having a car would be nice.

We visited Bologna for a day trip from Ferrara two years ago. We liked it, but my husband wasn't thrilled. Bologna must have grown on him, though, because now we're going back! I would agree that experiencing Bologna won't take much time, even if you're leisurely enjoying city life and people-watching (we spent one day here; that felt about right. The return visit is to eat good food and just hang out). But in the area, Ravenna is beyond compare and its mosaics are magnificent (if you like the mosaics, maybe 3/4 of a day). Ferrara is a cute, untouristy city, one best just experienced, not necessarily with a checklist of must-sees (maybe a couple of hours; we enjoyed staying there overnight). We recently visited Verona, and there's a lot to see there, in addition to it being a fun little city; we spent a couple of hours there, but probably could have spent an hour or two more(and no museums). On our next trip, along with Bologna, we'll also visit Padua and Vicenza. I would say, read up on those destinations, roughly plan 1 day or 1/2 for each, then see how many days you come up with.

I know nothing about Turin (ok, I've read up on it a little), but if I were going to that part of Italy, I would split my time between the Val d'Aosta and Turin, or the Piemonte and Turin. Those areas you'd need a car for.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 01:13 AM
ira

Hi C,

When are you going?

3-4 days in Naples + 3-4 days on the AC would be very nice in the late Spring or early Fall.

Bologna is a nice town, but I don't think it warrants more than 2-3 nights.

What's in Turin?

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your opinions!

From what I gather, 3 nights would be enough in Bologna plus nights for daytrips. My bookguide lists the following daytrips in Emilia-Romagna: Parma, Ferrara and Ravenna. So far it seems to be that Ferrara and Ravenna are good choices. However, if you had to choose one, which one would it be?

I've already been to Positano and Capri. I loved Capri, but not so much Positano. I was thinking about going to Ischia or Pompeii, maybe both? 3 nights seem to be about right in Naples plus nights for daytrips.

I bought a bookguide about Piemonte and Valle d'Aosta online but I haven't gotten it yet. I'm waiting for it to see about daytrips from Turin. I want to visit Turin because I saw a program on TV about it and I thought it was interesting. From what I've read, Milan and Turin are alike in some way, and since I like Milan, I guess Turin would be a right choice.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 03:17 AM

I spent a week in Bologna with 3 day trips (Ferrara, Mantova and then I divided 1 day between Ravenna and a bit of Modena). I had almost 4 full days in bologna and I still have at least 3 museums I'd like to visit and more exploration to do in town. If I didn't want to visit museums (by the way, neither of the ones I attended were crowded) I guess 2 days would be good.
A weekend would be OK for Turin, I think.
In Bologna, I enjoyed B&B Accogliente, where I stayed in the owners' apartment and shared the bathroom with 1 other room. It was excellent and very reasonable, with wonderful breakfasts and very good location.
http://www.accoglientebologna.it/

In Turin I loved my stay at the Conte Biancamano (ask for a courtyard room if you're a light sleeper)
http://www.hotelcontebiancamano.it/
but I would look into more central hotels that are still reasonable:
http://www.hoteldoganavecchia.com/05.html
To me, the above has the best location.
http://www.hotelliberty-torino.it/
http://www.lepetithotel.it/
You can get better rates on Turin hotels if you choose to stay on a weekend.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 06:24 AM

If I had to choose between Ravenna and Ferrara, it would be Ravenna in a heartbeat, because the mosaics are so fabulous. They rate among the top 10 of sights I have seen in my life. If you're looking for a cute city to hang out in (with not a huge number of stores), then Ferrara would be better. Ferrara is still encircled by a wall, and there's a path/walk all the way around, both on top of the wall in most parts, and on the ground outside them.

One thing we loved about Bologna, and I'm looking forward to going back to, is the market streets of via Clavature and via Pescherie, which have many stores with delicious cheese, salami, fish, vegetables, fruits and pasta.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:15 AM

I was in Bologna at the beginning of November for 8 nights - did day trips to Modena, Parma and Ravenna. Bologna itself has enough to see for 2 days at least - as for eating, 8 days wasn't enough. And the shopping in Bologna and Modena was superlative. The mosaics in Ravenna are a must. I had looked into adding another 5 days for Turin to my trip - and from what little I read, Turin sounds wonderful - but wasn't able to.

I stayed at the Albergo Centrale - 75E a night, double as a single - 5 minute walk from the Piazza Magiorre.

http://www.albergocentralebologna.it/

Have read some wonderful reviews of this B&B in Bologna:

http://www.accoglientebologna.it/
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:49 AM

You may want to read the Bologna section of my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34607146
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM

I'm afraid that I can't offer any help on Bologna or Turin, but Naples I can help with! Check out this post http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...olen&fid=2 to see the advice I gave on what to do with 10 days in Campania. I can only reiterate the same information for you!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Sorry! I never tried to link to another post before. Let's try this again....

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...hText=campania
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Torino is a marvelous city, and quite unlike Milano. It very much shows the stamp of both British and French influence, and yet is Italian to its core.

Even though you have sworn off museums (and for perfectly understandable reasons) the cinema museum in Torino is the finest of its kind in the world, and a museum like no other. If you have any love of movies at all, you owe it to yourself to see this spectacular, phantasmogorical setup, located inside Torino's most important archetectural wonder, the Mole Antonella. By taking the glass elevator literally through the roof of the Mole, you will get a panoramic view of the city, the Po River, and the surrounding Alps.

I also encourage you to visit Ravenna, perhaps especially as a counterpoint to Napoli. There was a time when Ravenna was the power center of Italy, and another time when Napoli was (actually, twice), and at yet another time, Torino ruled the land. And yet the 3 places simply could not be more astoundingly different.

For a hotel in Torino, try the B&B Ai Savoia

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-ital...p;IDregione=12

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everybody for all the hotel links!

Michael, I enjoyed your trip report and your pictures are simply beautiful!

I found what seems to be a very nice 3 star hotel near Piazza del Plebiscito in Naples at 100 Euros per a double room with breakfast included. Do you think it's expensive for a hotel in Naples or it's actually a good deal?

Well, it seems that Ravenna is the perfect daytrip in Emilia-Romagna. I'm definitely going to Pompeii from Naples. However, I'm also looking up information about Ischia. I was in Capri this year and I loved it. I love the sea and I'd definitely like to try a different island.

Thanks again everybody!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM

when in Ravenna be sure to go to the Baslica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe - which is a suburb of Ravenna. The Sant'Apollinare in Ravenna is nice but the one in Classe, by the same name, is beautifully stunning.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi again,

Thanks everybody for sharing your experience and for your recommendations!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Lazarus.... your mum says to come home for your dinner!

Peter
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 07:10 AM

In Naples I highly recommend the B&B Medea (it has a web site) which is in the university area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57627058744325
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM

If going to Naples, I would not miss the archeological museum. It was not crowded while we were there, and it has some amazing mosaics and sculptures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7627058744325/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -